Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive Info Is Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoohoo! First event at the factory right after the Founders get their cars on June 22!

I guess they'll prioritize not just by reservation sequence but, also by proximity to the event location?!

Two shots at it for Bay Area folks:

Fremont, CA
June 23 – 24

Bay Area, CA
July 14 – 15

The first car last Friday was almost certainly to Steve Jurvetson....

"The policy was that only after the car was officially on sale and the price had been set could anybody reserve a Model S," Jurvetson said this week, recalling that board meeting in early 2009. "They were about to open the meeting, so without saying a word I whip out my wallet, where I always keep one check, fill it out for the full price of the car, and then toss it across the table. Everyone was stunned."

Especially Tesla CEO Elon Musk, the guy across the table.

"Elon looked surprised," Jurvetson said. "Then he said, 'Well, I guess you get the first car.'"

Two shots at it for Bay Area folks:

Fremont, CA
June 23 – 24

Bay Area, CA
July 14 – 15
I wonder what they mean by Bay Area, CA. Perhaps the Menlo Park store or maybe even the Palo Alto HQ. There is no city or postal region around here named Bay Area, CA just like there's no Silicon Valley, CA. (There is, however, a Stanford, CA. :wink:)

DAMN! I literally just an hour ago booked a vacation trip to NY from 7/6-16. So, I'll miss the Scottsdale, AZ session on 7/13-15 (where I live) AND the one in NY (7/20-22). Ugh. I wish they had announced this one day earlier.

You may still have a shot at cancelling the flight tickets courtesy the new DoT regulations that went into effect in January this year:

Press Release | U.S. Department of Transportation

passengers will be able to hold a reservation without payment, or cancel a booking without penalty, for 24 hours after the reservation is made, if they make the reservation one week or more prior to a flight’s departure date. In addition, airlines will be required to promptly notify passengers of flight delays of over 30 minutes, as well as flight cancellations and diversions, and they will generally be prohibited from increasing the price of passengers’ ticket after it is bought.

Policies by airline:
Airlines' courtesy fare-hold and 24-hour cancel/change policies - Airfarewatchdog

I wonder what they mean by Bay Area, CA. Perhaps the Menlo Park store or maybe even the Palo Alto HQ. There is no city or postal region around here named Bay Area, CA just like there's no Silicon Valley, CA. (There is, however, a Stanford, CA. :wink:)

Yeah, it has to be Menlo, SR or PA HQ. Terrible traffic around both Menlo and SR stores. PA HQ and 280 would be more fun.

The earlier factory version would be preferred, I'd think, as GeorgeB mentioned that there's a Franz-designed test drive course that takes in some parts of the factory's closed course before getting on city streets and freeways.

On June 23rd and 24th, we will launch the Get Amped Model S Tour at our own Tesla Factory in Fremont, California. Franz von Holzhausen, our chief designer, has created a great seven to eight minute test drive course that extends beyond the factory to nearby streets. The course offers a variety of experiences that include freeway driving, long sweepers, tight turns, smooth and rough roads, and general urban driving. It’s the perfect way to experience how Model S grips the road and loves to run.

Have people gotten emails about this already? I'm a reservation holder and haven't received test drive info yet.

Early next week as per GeorgeB in his blog post.

We will be sending out our first Sign Up emails for June 23rd and 24th to Reservation Holders early next week. Thereafter, we will send Sign Up emails approximately two to three weeks prior to each tour stop.

Personally I would rather not test drive at this point, I am already in the non-refundable realm of the Tesla order process. I will wait till my car is delivered to drive the S.