Page 3 of 265 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Fisker Karma

Looks very good indeed!

That front hood ("nose") seems excessively long to me.
    Also, the width (at nearly 80") would be bothersome when all you can find are compact parking spaces (but this sort of vehicle will probably be valet parked much of the time).

I wish they had a bit more "cab forward" going on with the design.

But, still, it is a sexy looking vehicle, and is about in line with what I was thinking Whitestar would look like. Is this turning out to be the "Whitestar killer"? I had been wondering if Tesla was somehow involved with this vehicle, but it doesn't appear that they have had anything to do with it.

I wonder if Tesla has anything to say about the introduction of this vehicle? It sure would seem to be encroaching on their business plan.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

I wonder what they consider the "MPG" or "MPGE" for this?
    With plug-in capability the MPGE would vary depending on how much you actually plug it in. I am not sure how they will handle that fact when trying to put EPA MPG ratings on the factory sticker.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

The car looks more like a green version of the Maserati Quattroporte costing $112,200. Comments on the blogs say the car is INEXPENSIVE at $80k. Makes you wonder if whitestar will be able to meet it's original $50k target (there are hints that the whitestar will be closer to 60-70k). Maybe Tesla should increase it's size and sell it for a higher price, like the fisker. A side note: the Fisker has a high powered four cylinder as it's generator.
    What Fisker has on its side is that the Karma is intended to be a low volume car, and thus the $80k tag is quite reasonable even if the size is closer to a m5. However, Tesla is planning larger volume for the Whitestar, so it hits a price like $60-70 (80?)k then it will likely lose to the Karma.
    The Karma has a great impact on the future of the Whitestar, I'm glad this car got brought up.
    Because there are tons of crazy people in this world...

Quote Originally Posted by stopcrazypp View Post
    What Fisker has on its side is that the Karma is intended to be a low volume car, and thus the $80k tag is quite reasonable even if the size is closer to a m5. However, Tesla is planning larger volume for the Whitestar, so it hits a price like $60-70 (80?)k then it will likely lose to the Karma.
    Fisker has stated an annual production of 15,000 cars. As I recall Tesla had indicated around 10,000 for the Whitestar. Of course only time will tell if Fisker can get anywhere close to their number.

S60 owner since 2013
    The car looks more like a green version of the Maserati Quattroporte costing $112,200. Comments on the blogs say the car is INEXPENSIVE at $80k. Makes you wonder if whitestar will be able to meet it's original $50k target (there are hints that the whitestar will be closer to 60-70k). Maybe Tesla should increase it's size and sell it for a higher price, like the fisker.
    As I mentioned above currently this looks like the earliest and closest I'll get to a Whitestar spec'ed vehicle any time soon, too bad it's out of my league. Hopefully they'll consider a cheapo version at around $50 soon
    A side note: the Fisker has a high powered four cylinder as it's generator.
    I've not seen anything on this one, do you have a source for that?
    The Karma has a great impact on the future of the Whitestar, I'm glad this car got brought up.
    On that we agree, this will probably stop price and feature creep for the possible Whitestar, i.e. they need a significantly cheaper car or be able to beat the Fisker as a REEV at their price point.

Cobos

Quote Originally Posted by donauker View Post
    Fisker has stated an annual production of 15,000 cars. As I recall Tesla had indicated around 10,000 for the Whitestar. Of course only time will tell if Fisker can get anywhere close to their number.
    Woops, sorry, I read 99 cars at autoblog, but that was referring to the signed cars (sort of like the signature 100 roadsters). I looked back at some articles and it was 15,000 cars for 2009. So you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobos View Post
    I've not seen anything on this one, do you have a source for that?
    Autoblog mentions: "The Karma is powered by what's being called Q-DRIVE, a system developed by Quantum Technologies that combines a four-cylinder engine sending power to a generator to propel the four-door sedan."
    Detroit 2008: Fisker Karma draws a crowd, impresses - Autoblog

Jalopnik mentions: "A true lithium-ion plug-in hybrid, the electrical system is good for 50 miles of electric-only driving in stealth mode. Otherwise, the second mode of the hybrid system involves a performance-oriented four cylinder engine."
    Detroit Auto Show: Fisker Karma Luxury Hybrid, Only $80,000

Other numbers include 5.8 sec 0-60, 125mph top speed, but I think this was mentioned before.
    Because there are tons of crazy people in this world...

Interior

Jalopnik has photos of the interior. . .

IMG_5226.jpg

Seats look okay. The dash and steering wheel, to me, are a failure. I couldn't even figure out how to read those gauges, and the last thing I want is a bunch of controls on the steering wheel. That's where the horn should be, and nothing else.

Autobloggreen took pics at the Detroit show:
    AutoblogGreen

That hood has such (unpleasent) sharp lines down the middle.

And those door window buttons look 70's retro.

Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    Is this turning out to be the "Whitestar killer"?
    Very good. Solar roof is frivolous. Interior is disturbing.

Don't think it kills Whitestar, but really throws down a much needed design challenge to Tesla on styling, kerb weight, all-electric range and fuel economy.
    Last edited by malcolm; 2008-01-15 at 03:03 AM.

Thread Information