Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
What car will you be replacing when you get the Model S?!

Thought this might make a fun topic while we kill time waiting for the Model S!

So, in 2+ years' time, what car - that you are presumably driving now - would you be swapping out for the Model S?

Mine's a 2004 Acura TL - been a reliable and fun family sedan but, at ~21 MPG (with premium gas), it's been relatively expensive to operate. By 2012, it'd be 8 years old with around 110,000 miles on it.

Looking forward to your posts and a diverse gaggle of cars that'll be making way for the Tesla!

1996 Volvo 960 sedan. It has been very reliable, given the high dealer maintenance costs (requires brake job though). Has 123,751 miles. I will be keeping it with Model S.

After GM and others crushed their EVs I promised myself I would not buy a new car unless it is an EV.

2000 Saturn SL1 with 105,000 miles, routinely averaging 40-43 MPG combination city/highway.

Just had the intake manifold gasket replaced. I hope it's the last significant ICE maintenance cost I'll ever have to make.

It will be a big change for me. I'm tired of manually rolling up the windows and reaching around to the back door from the inside to unlock it!

Todd, tell me about it... I've only got 2 doors, and some a****le tried breaking into the car destroying the passenger door lock and making a huge hole where my drivers side door lock used to be.

With such an old car (though with only slightly above 50 000 miles on the odo) I only coughed up for repairing the driver side door. Partly because crawling in through the hatchback got old real fast and the snow falling into the hole in the door is usually bad for rust :(

Hopefully a cheap tuneup and mandatory control is all I will need to spend until I get myself an EV.

Cobos

A 2003 Saturn L200.

It's been a good car, but it was the first real indication that GM was creeping into Saturn design. It's got a few more good years in it, so I know it will hold out just fine. But my wife is itching to replace it now, so I'm going to have to sweet talk her into waiting.

I'm currently driving a 2003 Audi A6 with ~57,000 miles on it. I'll probably keep her just for winter reasons since her quattro is awesome in the snow.

Hopefully a few plans I have for this year will come to fruition so I can finally put the money down on a Model S. If/when that happens I'll be sure to report in with my reservation number. :biggrin:

right now

right now I've got a '96 civic with 223,000 kms. I know for sure I won't still be driving it when the model S is out though. (I'm sick of driving around an appliance) We've got a 2006 mazda 3 I might have moved on to, or I might pick up something else. If I were single I'd have ordered a roadster already, but with a family the roadster would really just be a toy for me.

- mnx