Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
[mod note: copied part of this post from It's Time to Build Your Model S thread to provide context for paint armor discussion. b.]

Just did my configuration call.

• The $950 option for the paint armor is SO worth it. See the below picture of everything they cover. No need to go aftermarket when you can get this much coverage from the factory!

View attachment 6447

Waiting on my paperwork now... I already did the math in my head... sheesh.

*edit* sig red, black/red interior with lacewood, pano roof, carbon 21" wheels, kept the spoiler and no child seats.

Attachments

• Paint Armor.JPG
    Paint Armor.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 9,070
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like it only covers part of the hood. Won't there be a dirt line there?

goes about halfway up from what I can see (the nose cone gets completely covered). It's about typical for these installations. I've only ever had one car go the whole length of the hood and fenders, but if it's done well, you shouldn't notice the line.

I do wonder if maybe you can option the whole hood done though. I'll ask.

Odd that the charge port door is covered, didn't think that was painted? Though i guess with how much use it will get, it could get scratched/scuffed

*edit* she came back fairly quickly and said that what's on the diagram is all they offer, so if you want to go full hood/fender you'll need to go aftermarket. I'm going to go with what's there and if the coverage is insufficient, I'll just have the hood redone.

Last edited:
If anyone is willing that has armor on a car, I have never seen (not to my knowledge anyway) a car that has it, could you post some pictures, so I can see how noticeable it is, if at all? Thanks in advance.

Not a close up, but the silver car here has partial hood done:

*edit* never mind, I just checked and I actually have full-hood coverage on this car

Attachments

• shadowr8.jpg
    shadowr8.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 5,776
  • karmar8.jpg
    karmar8.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 5,303
Last edited:
If anyone is willing that has armor on a car, I have never seen (not to my knowledge anyway) a car that has it, could you post some pictures, so I can see how noticeable it is, if at all? Thanks in advance.
Here's a high-res pic of my Roadster. If you follow the line of the headlight over the fender towards the front wheel you can see a faint line where the paint armor ends. Also there's a strip on the rear edge of the door. The area below the door is covered as well as the entire area around the charge port and the mirrors.
DSC01594.jpg

Now I've never seen a "dirt line" and I've had PPF on several of my cars. What does end up happening is wax builds up there leaving a white line. I'm just too lazy to keep it clean. You can see it in this pic if you follow that same line from the rear of the headlight over the fender towards the wheel:

DSC03461.JPG

Armor is nearly invisible at first. After time dirt gathers along the edge. Wax buildup may also be an issue if not attended to while polishing.

Bottom line is that it shows if it is not kept clean. If properly maintained you can't see it while standing in front of the car.

Would never have a car without again.

I wouldn't get the paint armor. It's pretty extensive for what you get. Plus it doesn't cover the headlights or rear bummer.
Probably get a more comprehensive package for less money through an aftermarket.

I wouldn't get the paint armor. It's pretty extensive for what you get. Plus it doesn't cover the headlights or rear bummer.
Probably get a more comprehensive package for less money through an aftermarket.

I like the idea of it being factory installed. While the process would be the same, I would think that the installer would get pretty good at installing this particular Model S package since they would be doing nothing but Model S installs. There might also be a delay of for third party template availability - since I am a signature model - it might be my only option for paint armor.

I have some dealership-installed paint protection on my Ford Explorer, and they told me not to wax. I don't know anything about this kind of stuff; maybe there are different types of protection on the market? Please enlighten me.

Saw VIN #29 today in Sarasota, and it's got the paint armor. Visibility of the lines is the same as the Roadster - almost invisible.

Here's the hood in sunshine:
IMG_0478.jpg

If you can't see where the line is, I met fellow forum member Larry there and he helpfully points it out:
IMG_0479.jpg

Here's a close-up:
IMG_0471.jpg

In artificial light it's a little easier to see. Here's a close up of the rear door and wheel arch:
IMG_0470.jpg

With paint armor do you still wax the car? What changes in the way you care for the car?

I have had venture shield protection for over 6 years, no replacements. There is slight yellowing in that time. The car is waxed like any other, just be very careful with waxing around the lines. It is very durable, and you can also remove most scuff marks that will inevitably accumulate (especially visible on silver or white cars).

Has anyone ever seen the protective film eat into their paint job? Like if bird poop or bugs are left on too long?

Does anyone know who is making the paint for Tesla Model S -DuPont, PPG, etc? Is one more resistant to chips or scratches than the other? Even if so, I would imagine the film offers more comprehensive protection.

Thanks.

Last edited: