Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: GEN III - When will we see the first prototype

Blog Entries
    As *Outsider* pointed out way up thread, Tesla has said there won't be any news about the next car until about this time next year. From other pronouncements I believe they have also left up in the air whether a new Roadster or the Gen III $30k car will come next. It's possible (likely?) that we won't hear anything on the Gen III for another 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Iz View Post
    That GEN III will be targeted at a larger customer base that will also be more price conscious. Based on feedback from others, it appears a base 250-300 "real world" range at the $30k price point is what the greater aggregate of that customer base will be looking for. Nissan was rumored to be looking at a 200-mile range on the next Leaf. A Tesla rep mentioned that TM is aware of all the battery reasearch underway. Perhaps when one of these advancements proves out, it will be used.
    Didn't Elon also state that they realized they could do Gen 3 sooner than they had originally thought? Perhaps something did pan out

Blog Entries
    I suspect that they already have a clay model, but we won't see anything for at least a year.

In order to differentiate themselves in the market, it needs to have a range of at least 2X a Leaf. That said, I fully expect them to have different pack sizes available, and the $30k version might not be all that compelling. I would not be surprised if the 200+ mile version were $40k. That said, if they could bring out a $30k 200 mile car I think it would be an enormous success...
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Are clay models even made anymore. I know they used to be years ago but don't most do the "clay" models in software now?
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    Are clay models even made anymore. I know they used to be years ago but don't most do the "clay" models in software now?
    The Model X had a clay model. It popped up in a few pictures and was at the reveal event in Hawthorne.

Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    The Model X had a clay model. It popped up in a few pictures and was at the reveal event in Hawthorne.
    As did the S.

A coupla weeks after the X revel I had a guy approach me at a car show. He was on the X's clay team at the Design Center. He was toast. I asked if he was onto the next car but he was coy. Go the impression he would be doing things like the center consoul and parts like dash of the X. (but I just imagined that part)

Items for Sale
    Wasn't the clay model of the Roadster at Menlo Park?

I seem to remember seeing it when we visited the MP HQ at the October Model S event...

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    As did the S.

A coupla weeks after the X revel I had a guy approach me at a car show. He was on the X's clay team at the Design Center. He was toast. I asked if he was onto the next car but he was coy. Go the impression he would be doing things like the center consoul and parts like dash of the X. (but I just imagined that part)
    Member Southern Ontario Tesla Owners Club

Quote Originally Posted by Jaff View Post
    Wasn't the clay model of the Roadster at Menlo Park?

I seem to remember seeing it when we visited the MP HQ at the October Model S event...

Don't know where it lived but it was covered with silver and later destroyed.

All Teslas have been clay.

Thanks TEGbot. From that thread, here's a larger shot:

Attachment 4058

I believe that video was on vimeo about this time last year, so if we saw Gen 3 this time next year, that would be at least 2 years after they began work on it. I'm not sure how that lines up with previous models.

Thread Information