Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Design Studio is up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like they're still working on the "My Tesla" portion. It's not really working and it took me to a non-existent link when I first logged in.

Also, I get a little "i" next to the option when I select the Gray interior. Clicking on it brings up the following message:

ENTERS PRODUCTION NOVEMBER 2012

The Grey Performance Interior enters production in November 2012 and may delay delivery.

[h=4 said:
ENTERS PRODUCTION NOVEMBER 2012[/h] The Grey Performance Interior enters production in November 2012 and may delay delivery.
Standard suspension does not enter production till Jan 2013 and may delay delivery.

Conspiracy theorists might suggest they are experiencing delays in general, and are just prepping us by inserting different options that would cause these "delays". Let's hope not.

Conspiracy theorists might suggest they are experiencing delays in general, and are just prepping us by inserting different options that would cause these "delays". Let's hope not.

Grey has not been seen anywhere yet, so it was obviously coming later. We've known for some time that all 2012 cars would be with air suspension. I don't see any unexpected delays.

- "Obeche Wood"

From the "Wood Handbook"

Obeche (Triplochiton scleroxylon) trees of west–central Africa reach a height of 50 m (150 ft) or more and a diameter of up to 2 m (5 ft). The trunk is usually free of branches for a considerable height so that clear lumber of considerable size can be obtained.

The wood is creamy white to pale yellow with little or no difference between sapwood and heartwood. The wood is fairly soft, of uniform medium to coarse texture, and the grain is usually interlocked but sometimes straight. Air-dry wood weighs about 385 kg/m3 (24 lb/ft3). Obeche dries readily with little degrade. It is not resistant to decay, and green sapwood is subject to blue stain. The wood is easy to work and machine, veneers and glues well, and takes nails and screws without splitting.

The characteristics of obeche make it especially suitable for veneer and corestock. Other uses include furniture, components, millwork, blockboard, boxes and crates, particleboard and fiberboard, patterns, and artificial limbs.

Not happy about the suspension bit...No way I can wait until Jan., but that's a $1500 expense I don't want/need--and if I get that I might as well get the Aero rims--so make it $3000
I'm not sure I see the linkage; while both will help with range, range is just a side benefit of the air suspension. I'm getting the air suspension to manage the gravel roads of Maine, which not infrequently have wash-outs. Air suspension will also help manage those steep ramps in parking garages, driveways, etc. without scraping the paint.

I'm surprised that the gray interior is going into production late. This option seems trivially simple to deliver. Fortunately, I'd settled on tan.

Obeche is used for lots of different things:

model-10-toffee-large-242x300.jpg

pic5.jpg

mikersamp067x640.jpg

1.jpg

Sheesh! Gray interior and standard suspension were my first choices and I'm looking at 2013 now?! :(

Have (long term reliability) concerns around air suspension and I don't really want to cough up $1,500 for that - even if I fall back to 60 kWh to accommodate that option (and more), maybe touch and go as to whether I'll get the car by the end of the year with P 1,620.

Decisions, decisions...

Obeche is considered a sustainable rain forest timber, that may be part of the reason for Tesla's pick. I like the grain, not too busy like other exotic woods, but the stain color I would have liked better with a little more reddish, warmer tone.

Ugh, the car I WANT is going to be above 80k. I guess I can do without a lot of options.

Though has Tesla said anything about later installations? Such as if I got textiles instead of leather, will I be able to install leather? This is just an example, things like the sound system is something I can wait on too, but I don't know if thats an option.