Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

so when do we get a test drive !?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla couldn't build cars for customers to drive until crash tests and approvals were completed. Now they want to get cars into customers hands, so I'd expect that cars for test drives will still be a month or two more. Also wouldn't be surprised if they prioritize drives according to reservation number, but I have no idea how they might do that.

A test ride/drive doesn't do a lot for me other than just sitting in the car and making sure I can get in and out without bumping my head. Test rides/drives are too short to learn anything significant. Renting the car for a week or two would be more informative if you had doubts that it would work for you.

Roadster insurance was much cheaper if I limited it myself and my wife. Plenty of people have had test rides...no-one else has driven it. Model S may be the same story pending insurance.
A person driving your car temporarily will be covered by their own insurance. So assuming they have insurance and enough coverage then the car is covered while they're driving it.

I, too, would like a test drive but doubt that I'll be getting one... at least from Tesla. My dad's got Sig 417 so I'll get a chance to drive his before I need to order mine. I'm hoping that they decide to take a week and go on vacation or something. I'll make sure his S gets exercise. ;)

Oh, and once I have mine I'll be letting a few people drive it. I kind of have to let my wife drive and I have a few friends that I'll let drive it because we share similar vehicular interests. Other than that it'll be test rides only.

A person driving your car temporarily will be covered by their own insurance. So assuming they have insurance and enough coverage then the car is covered while they're driving it.
And assuming their deductible is not greater than the damage they cause when they're so busy trying to figure out all the features that they're not looking at the road. And assuming they actually have insurance. Some folks have liability but no comp. And even if they do have full insurance and take responsibility for the deductible, there's the hassle of repairs and the misery of being without your car while it's shipped to the nearest Tesla facility for repairs. Etc.

Nope. Someone would need to have a pretty serious claim on my affection, AND I'd have to be convinced of their competence and respectful driving style, before they'd get the key to my car.