Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do green leaders drive electric cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA

If EV advocates won't step up to the plate, who will? I admit I don't own one yet, and many other green writers are in the same boat. Read on, and see who's a member of the club and who isn't.

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/do-green-leaders-drive-electric-cars

I like that Jim did this. In my travels and here there is extreme pressure to buy a Model S even though it is not a car that works for our family. Not that a Roadster is a family car but we draw the limit at one useless vehicle. It's a hoot so it will tide us over till the GenBlue delivers.

So do you know anyone who advocates EVs but is waiting for the right one for whatever reason?

There are not a lot of EVs available, and right now your choices are either too expensive for most people, or too short-range to be the car for a one-car household. A person can legitimately advocate for EVs before there is one available that works for them. And of course, there are greener alternatives than an EV. A bicycle, for example. I have friends who ride bikes daily. When I visited them, they rented a car so we could go to cool restaurants. Public transportation is also greener than a personal car. A person who does not own a car at all could advocate for EVs for people who need a car.

OTOH, a person who drives an unnecessarily dirty or inefficient car, but advocates for EVs, would be a hypocrite. But I've never encountered such a person.

One would expect a green leader to model a green lifestyle. But that does not mean they should necessarily own a car that might not meet their needs, just because it's electric. If they do drive a car, and if they can afford an EV that has the capabilities they need, then they should be driving an EV. The ifs are relevant.

I'm one who advocates EVs, but currently besides the Roadster (is not comfortable for my daily commute) none of the current offerings meet my daily driving needs. The Model S does meet my needs + you can fit kids in it.

Besides, replacing a car, unless it was going to happen anyway, isn't a 'green' thing to do.

In three years, the landscape will be very different. There will stil be range issues, but at least there will be family friendly models - though probably still at 'shocking' prices (to those that don't do TCOs).