Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Tesla" scam.

Blog Entries

"Tesla" scam.

I'm posting this in "off topic" because it does not refer to our favorite car company:

I got an email today titled "A note from Tesla generator." The email promised free electricity using a device the government has been trying to keep hidden. (Where do these idiots come up with these ideas?)

I did not open the link in the email because I don't know whether it's just going to try to sell me another perpetual motion machine, or whether it's going to try to infect my computer with a virus. I never open links in emails unless there is something in the text of the email that absolutely convinces me it comes from a legitimate source, or the link actually points to a site I trust.

I actually love perpetual motion toys, and I have several. Of course there's the classic drinking bird. And there's a really cool battery powered thing which is cool because unless you're an electrical engineer you probably can't figure out how it works, since there's no electrical connection between the roller thingy that rolls back and forth seemingly forever, and the base where the battery is hidden. Apparently the arms of the roller interact with a magnetic field generated in the base in such a way that it always gets pushed in the direction it's moving.

The scam in the email I got today plays on the fact that a lot of people believe that Nikola Tesla invented machines that would give us free electricity, and only our evil government is preventing us from having them. Which is kind of odd, really, because we actually have free energy beaming at us wirelessly from that big thermonuclear reactor a relatively safe 93 million miles away. And most alleged "free energy" machines probably cost more to build (if they worked, which of course they don't) per watt of output, than a solar collector or wind turbine.

I blame our educational system and fundamentalist religion for the pathetic ignorance of science in the populace that allows free-energy scams to persist, as well as such medical scams as chiropractic, acupuncture, homeopathy, etc., and the plethora of other irrational beliefs such as AGW denialism and young-Earth creationism.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel View Post
    I blame our educational system and fundamentalist religion for the pathetic ignorance of science in the populace that allows free-energy scams to persist, as well as such medical scams as chiropractic, acupuncture, homeopathy, etc., and the plethora of other irrational beliefs such as AGW denialism and young-Earth creationism.
    Wow, tell us how you REALLY feel.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    You certainly hit the nail on the head with that one. Critical thinking should be taught in schools along with how to distinguish pseudoscience from science. And what medical scams are likely to be pitched.

The way to determine if a email is from a legitimate source is to look at the full headers.

Here's an example:

Look at the Received header lines. The lines you can trust to be real are the ones that have your SMTP server (aka receiving mail server) or your ISP's server in them. The top most one is the most recent one.

Subject: Reply to thread 'How long will Tesla's current retail model be feasible?'
    Date: May 27, 2012 10:00:33 CDT
    From: Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum <noreply@teslamotorsclub.com> <--- The From address. It can easily be faked
    To: Jerry Jorgenson <jerry@j3iss.com>
    Return-Path: <noreply@teslamotorsclub.com>
    Delivered-To: jerry@j3iss.com
    Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mail.j3iss.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id A120318B899F for <jerry@j3iss.com>; Sun, 27 May 2012 10:03:25 -0500 (CDT) <---- This is one from your local system or ISP
    Received: from mail.j3iss.com ([127.0.0.1]) by localhost (feline.j3iss.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id Fvs7Sil0-XMy for <jerry@j3iss.com>; Sun, 27 May 2012 10:03:25 -0500 (CDT) <---- This is also one from your local system or ISP
    Received: from tmcserver.teslamotorsclub.com (unknown [64.111.70.28]) by mail.j3iss.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 6235518B899C for <jerry@j3iss.com>; Sun, 27 May 2012 10:03:25 -0500 (CDT) <---- This is the earliest one you can trust. Note that the teslamotorsclub.com matches the From address and it has your system j3iss.com in this case in it.
    Received: from 127.0.0.1 (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by tmcserver.teslamotorsclub.com (8.14.4/8.14.4) with ESMTP id q4RF0Xfi002653 for <jerry@j3iss.com>; Sun, 27 May 2012 11:00:33 -0400 <---- This is not from your system and could be faked
    X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at j3iss.com <---- All the lines below here are informational and aren't security related
    Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
    Message-Id: <20120527150033.cac49b9aeb2a@www.teslamotorsclub.com>
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP

Note that some companies use advertising and survey companies that will make the From and Received header lines appear different. So, assuming you would like to participate in whatever it is, what to do? Find the ip-address from the line that has both your SMTP server and the remote server and go to both Senderbase and Trusted Source. If both show the ip-address as being good, then it's safe. If there is any other result (one good, one neutral, etc.) then don't go there. Interestingly, the telsamotorsclub ip-address doesn't pass this test. Only Trusted Source shows it as good. However, because the from and received line match, it's safe.
    Last edited by jerry33; 2012-05-27 at 11:53 AM.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    Wow, tell us how you REALLY feel.
    I feel like him, and want permission to quote...

Medical scams have been mentioned, how about health and nutrition scams? That's a multi-billion dollar industry. Take a pill or buy a machine to lose weight and take a pill to fix an ailment scams are everywhere.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ggr View Post
    I feel like him, and want permission to quote...
    Permission granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendal View Post
    Medical scams have been mentioned, how about health and nutrition scams? That's a multi-billion dollar industry. Take a pill or buy a machine to lose weight and take a pill to fix an ailment scams are everywhere.
    Yes. I lump health and nutrition scams generally with medical scams. There are far too many scams that exploit lack of critical thinking, scientific ignorance, and innumeracy, to be able to list them all in a chat board post. I just gave a couple of examples. We would be a better and stronger and more robust nation if everyone knew how to think critically. But advertising would not work as well, and demagogues would have a much harder time of it, and churches would have a harder time raising money, so all of them oppose science education.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendal View Post
    I was lumping them together too.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.

Blog Entries
    ....and churches would have a harder time raising money, so all of them oppose science education.
    Factually wrong there my friend. Our Catholic church also has a school (my daughter attends) that specializes in science studies; and they're not alone. Belief in God and belief in evolution are not mutually exclusive. Many churches raise money for charitable works and that fundraising does not rely on a lack of critical thinking, rather the opposite - it does rely on a enough people critically realizing where help is needed.

I'm not religious, but there are even scientists that believe in God. Some people NEED faith in something. Some need to believe there's more to our lives than a chance existence that means nothing more than a fly buzzing past a horse's arse. Some need to believe everything we are doesn't just wink out of existence as soon as our body stops functioning.

Personally, I have a hard time believing we're anything more than intelligent animals that are here once, live, die and are never heard from again, but I don't look down on those that can dream bigger (heck, I envy them).

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Factually wrong there my friend. Our Catholic church also has a school (my daughter attends) that specializes in science studies; and they're not alone. Belief in God and belief in evolution are not mutually exclusive. Many churches raise money for charitable works and that fundraising does not rely on a lack of critical thinking, rather the opposite - it does rely on a enough people critically realizing where help is needed.
    That sure wasn't the case in the Catholic schools I attended. (and I attended several in several cities over several years).

Thread Information