Page 91 of 521 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Supercharger network

4GETOIL SS70, XS4, xR913 dadaleus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggr View Post
    You don't have to tell them, they see a Model S and point the way...
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
    ... It would suck for travelers if they attempted to charge at a supercharger and had to wait for the local to finish supercharging when the local had a perfectly valid charging option at home. ....
    At some point in the future even local yokels in Timbuktu will have a Tesla. Then the travel spots will be packed. We have to come up with a term for that. Yokeld?

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    At some point in the future even local yokels in Timbuktu will have a Tesla. Then the travel spots will be packed. We have to come up with a term for that. Yokeld?
    Hey... just because I still have to climb a pole to answer my telephone calls doesn't mean I'm not entitled to charge my flying carpet too!

Just remember that some of us "local yokels" already have Teslas.

Model X #1417
    While superchargers are relatively inexpensive to operate, I think they don't want them to become people's regular charging location. By placing them only in areas outside major metropolitan areas, they focus their use on travelers, and not locals. It would suck for travelers if they attempted to charge at a supercharger and had to wait for the local to finish supercharging when the local had a perfectly valid charging option at home. In the same vein, travelers are more likely to only charge for 20-30 minutes (enough to get to the next supercharger or their final destination) rather than sitting there the full hour to get to 100%.

The Hawthorne SC is an exception to the rule because it's at Space-X HQ, and is in a largely industrial area.
    If they are at Tesla facilities, they're almost certainly in a business zoned area, plus it would be trivial to make sure that only boni fide travelers use them, at least during business hours.
    Anyway, not building them because they might get used seems an odd trade off. The cost to build them is low at existing facilities, so it's not a zero sum game where adding one to a service center subtracts one from a highway rest stop.

If they put HPC, asside Superchargers, people can choose fast or fastest charge!
    Would 4 hpc cost more than 4 superchargers?
    I guess once the basics of a supercharger are installed, adding berths will cost +/- same as adding a hpc! no?

Model X: P3705
    By placing them only in areas outside major metropolitan areas, they focus their use on travelers, and not locals.
    Some of the most strategic locations would be near major interstate intersections which are also in metropolitan areas. This way they can cover multiple routes with one facility. I think as supercharger locations become more congested they could add additional chargers in same location quicker and cheaper than leasing/buying new locations.

Quote Originally Posted by RDoc View Post
    It seems odd to me that there aren't Superchargers at all Tesla stores that have parking areas, not mall showrooms, but sales and service centers. Considering what it costs to put a center together, I wouldn't think the marginal cost of a Supercharger would be that big and it would significantly increase their availability.

In California it might be redundant, but for the rest of the country Superchargers are pretty thin on the ground and likely to remain that way for many years.
    There is the problem that most of these locations would most likely need a larger power feed than they currently have. This service upgrade can be VERY expensive.

I bet a lot of their Supercharger location requirements is nearby large power feed to tap off of.

Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.
    Moderator - Southeast, Future Cars, TMC Connect
    Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

Actually I believe Superchargers are all Solar powered.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSupreme View Post
    There is the problem that most of these locations would most likely need a larger power feed than they currently have. This service upgrade can be VERY expensive.
    That's one of the potentially clever things with Tesla's plan for solar power: put in a big enough solar array that it needs the hefty grid connection to take the generated power, then you have it available in the reverse direction when the sun's not shining. And with the various incentives for solar power, that side of the setup can pay for itself, leaving the marginal cost for the supercharger quite low. Probably not quite as good as that since the solar array would be too big (at least with the 'canopy' approach), but if it offsets part of the cost it's still a nice win.

Not sure it works quite as well in places with less sunshine than California - maybe in Norway they will place the superchargers in locations suited to hydro rather than solar?

Quote Originally Posted by Enadler View Post
    Actually I believe Superchargers are all Solar powered.
    No. In fact even the ones with solar panels don't supply the full power from the panels but draw from the grid, the panels just supplement and feed power back to the grid when no one is charging.

Thread Information