Page 82 of 443 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Supercharger network

BLUTSLA #516-REDTSLA #272 DrComputer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ggr View Post
    Well, when we planned our pickup we had no trouble organizing relatively fast charging on the way down. Lloyd has 70amp J1772 in San Luis Obispo, there's a public 70amp in Goleta, and we found a hotel in Santa Barbara with multiple chargers if you want to stay overnight. Unfortunately we never got to do the trip, due to delivery delays. Dadelus did factory pickup and drove home to San Diego, you could ask him where he charged.
    Yeah, that's the route I was planning on taking. Factory to SLO, charge, drive to Santa Barbara, stay over night, drive home the next morning....although I really did want to user the SuperChargers.
    2010 Tesla Roadster #516
    2012 Model S Signature Performance #272
    6kW Solar System by REC Solar with TigoEnergy optimization and monitoring

Model S EU#P1088 (P85)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    By the way, for the LEAF, the pack wants voltages around 350V (even though the CHAdeMO spec can go up to 500V). At that lower voltage I think they let the amperage go a bit higher, but I think LEAF published CHAdeMO charge rate is around 50kW max. Anyways, your point is even more true: Supercharging is more powerful and quicker than CHAdeMO...
    125A max anyway. The Leaf starts at about 350V and goes up to 394V. It starts to ramp down the charging current somewhere around 380-390V or so. Max charging power is about 47kW.

The Model S has a similar battery voltage so around 47kW max there too.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirkebo View Post
    ...The Model S has a similar battery voltage so around 47kW max there too.
    (Qualifier: when using a hypothetical CHAdeMO adapter...)
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

SuperCharger location needed - Augusta, GA on Interstate 20.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSupreme View Post
    I did a drive from Atlanta, to Florence, SC last weekend so this is all fresh in my mind.

I would agree. But I noticed that they have Columbia, SC on I-95 and I-20 (and I-77) It is a good 80 miles from I-95. Florence, SC is on I-95 and at the end of I-20. I drive there a couple times a year, almost always with my dad, to see family. If they had a charger near/in Augusta, GA and Columbia, SC you could make the trip (to Florence, or Columbia) in a 60kWh S.

I want a charger at "Abingdon Manner" I ate there last weekend. It was exceptional. If you are driving on I-95, I highly recommend stopping there. Again this is fresh in my mind.
    I strongly agree with Augusta just off I-20 for a Supercharger location.
    I-20 is a key route to/from ATL for South Carolina.
    Augusta is an appropriate Inter-state stopping point for traveling.

I travel it several times each year from Charleston. Best alternative when charging on this drive for me is the Heritage RV park near Augusta. That is what I currently use when I travel in the Roadster.
    Last edited by driver_EV; 10-07-2012 at 06:45 AM.

4GETOIL SS70, XS4, xR913 dadaleus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggr View Post
    Well, when we planned our pickup we had no trouble organizing relatively fast charging on the way down. Lloyd has 70amp J1772 in San Luis Obispo, there's a public 70amp in Goleta, and we found a hotel in Santa Barbara with multiple chargers if you want to stay overnight. Unfortunately we never got to do the trip, due to delivery delays. Dadelus did factory pickup and drove home to San Diego, you could ask him where he charged.
    DrComputer: Late reply, just noticed this. (Is there a way to get notified of mentions BTW?)

Anyway, there are free 70amp J1772's at Rabobanks at the following locations along 101 which can be found on Recargo:
    - Salinas Rabobank Salinas - Salinas, CA - Recargo
    - Atascadero Rabobank - Atascadero, CA - Recargo
    - Goleta Rabobank - Goleta, CA - Recargo
    - Santa Maria Rabobank - Santa Maria - Santa Maria, CA - Recargo

There are also a couple non-Rabobank 70amp J1772 in San Luis Obispo:
    - $.75/hr Marsh St. Parking Structure - San Luis Obispo, CA - Recargo
    - $5/hr at LLoyd's office: Marcum, Copp, Barbieri DDS - San Luis Obispo, CA - Recargo

We used the Salinas and Goleta stations on our Model S drive down with no problems.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in San Luis Obispo so charged for the night on the free 30amp J1772 in the parking lot:
    - San Luis Obispo Promenade - San Luis Obispo, CA - Recargo

Lastly, you're far enough north that you should be set after Goleta. We had to continue on to San Diego and once you get south of Goleta you're a bit out of luck for 70amps until Tesla gets the Superchargers turned back on or puts in J1772 or Model S connector stations at their stores or service centers. But there are plenty of 30amp stations to be found. Maybe Tesla can arrange something for you to use a Roadster > S adapter or something.

ChadS made a very nice map of charging stations as well. I've suggested he parse out the 70amp J1772s (right now they are mixed with the 70amp Roadster specific stations) but you can get the info from the descriptions: Tesla Highway - Google Maps

And I've suggested to Recargo that they let us filter on the amps. They have a field for amps, and if we could search on it I suspect us Tesla owners would fill that in for the higher amperage stations pretty quickly.

Nice recap, dadaleus... Thanks!
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar

October 19th is Supercharging Day

e-mail from Tesla:

OCTOBER 19TH IS SUPERCHARGING DAY
    We've been actively working on our game-changing Supercharger network. Since the unveiling last month, the installation and testing process has been in full swing. We now have some very good news to share.

As of Friday, October 19th, the first six locations will be open and ready to Supercharge your Model S.

There will be a software update sent to your Model S touchscreen just prior to October 19th. You will receive an email in advance explaining the installation procedure. It is necessary that you install this update prior to Supercharging.

We've placed Superchargers in convenient locations near fast food, other restaurants, attractions and shopping to make your Model S charge time convenient and enjoyable.

Folsom, CA
    13000 Folsom Blvd, Folsom, CA 95630
    Folsom Premium Outlets

Harris Ranch
    24505 W Dorris Ave Coalinga, CA 93210
    Near Harris Ranch Inn and Restaurant

Gilroy, CA
    681 Leavesley Road, Gilroy, CA 95020
    Gilroy Premium Outlet, near Sony

Barstow, CA
    2812 Lenwood Rd., Barstow, CA 92311
    Near Country Inn and Suites

Tejon Ranch
    5602 Dennis McCarthy Dr., Lebec, CA 93243
    Near Yogurtland

Los Angeles, CA
    3203 Jack Northrop Ave., Hawthorne, CA 90250
    Near Hawthorne Municipal Airport

We are very excited to have our first six Supercharger locations up and running. October 19th is just the beginning. We will continue to expand the Supercharger network to give you more and more freedom to take your favorite road trip.

For those of you outside California, we are actively working on Supercharger locations in other parts of North America. We'll keep you up-to-date as we continue to expand the network. If you have any questions about Supercharging, our Model S Ownership team is here for you. Call us at 877-778-3752 or email ownership@teslamotors.com.
    Let the Supercharging begin!
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Interesting that they say an update is needed prior to supercharging. Dadaleus was able to supercharge at the unveiling event last month...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcornwell View Post
    Interesting that they say an update is needed prior to supercharging. Dadaleus was able to supercharge at the unveiling event last month...
    They've probably done some sort of firmware upgrade to the Superchargers, requiring a matching change in the cars.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcornwell View Post
    They were waiting for certification, which is the same issue that has delayed the HPWC. The software update is likely a separate issue that has been sitting on the shelf with no need to be implemented prior to certification.

Thread Information