Page 174 of 561 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 5602

Thread: Tesla Supercharger network

So compare to an ICE. 20 gas stops as you can't gas while sleeping, X 15 minutes per gas stop = 5 hours waiting

I assume that the wait time above is calculated by charging time not occupied by sleeping eating or potty breaks.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

Model S EU#P1088 (P85)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilBa View Post
    In WA we have a law that requires public and private EVSEs to have EV signage and paint at the stall. Plus, a > $100 ticket for jerks who ICE. You should talk to your state legislators to get some teeth in your laws.
    Uh, what? Required signage? So you can't legally put in EVSEs in a parking lot but not restrict parking there to EVs only? That doesn't sound right, an owner of a parking lot should surely be able to decide for himself if EVSE spots should be restricted or not. It's his lot and his EVSEs after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    So compare to an ICE. 20 gas stops as you can't gas while sleeping, X 15 minutes per gas stop = 5 hours waiting

I assume that the wait time above is calculated by charging time not occupied by sleeping eating or potty breaks.
    Come again? 20 gas stops? Maybe 10. Or five in a recent diesel...

Quote Originally Posted by jkirkebo View Post
    Uh, what? Required signage? So you can't legally put in EVSEs in a parking lot but not restrict parking there to EVs only? That doesn't sound right, an owner of a parking lot should surely be able to decide for himself if EVSE spots should be restricted or not. It's his lot and his EVSEs after all...
    Welcome to the Nanny States of America. Yes, a business that has a parking lot with an EVSE must designate it as EV only (signage and paint). This is very similar to the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) that requires "accessible" parking in public and private lots. Only people with the handicapped designation can park in them. It is reasonable as people ICE EVSEs all the time.

However, the law is pretty badly written. It calls out public or private parking lots with no exception for non-publicly accessible parking like my garage. I believe the intent was for lots that are privately owned but publicly accessible (for stores, restaurants, etc). Anyway, the law as written seems to say that in my garage with an HPWC, I must a) place a sign restricting non EVs, b) mark the pavement and c) get fined every time I park my Prius (non-plugin) there. Of course, no cop would ever write me a ticket for that.
    P85 | Multi-coat Red | Tan Leather | Carbon Fiber | 19" Wheels | Tech Pkg

Model S EU#P1088 (P85)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilBa View Post
    Welcome to the Nanny States of America. Yes, a business that has a parking lot with an EVSE must designate it as EV only (signage and paint). This is very similar to the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) that requires "accessible" parking in public and private lots. Only people with the handicapped designation can park in them. It is reasonable as people ICE EVSEs all the time.

However, the law is pretty badly written. It calls out public or private parking lots with no exception for non-publicly accessible parking like my garage. I believe the intent was for lots that are privately owned but publicly accessible (for stores, restaurants, etc). Anyway, the law as written seems to say that in my garage with an HPWC, I must a) place a sign restricting non EVs, b) mark the pavement and c) get fined every time I park my Prius (non-plugin) there. Of course, no cop would ever write me a ticket for that.
    Well, that's just nuts. The holy grail of EV charging would of course be an EVSE at every space in a lot. But an owner that wants to do that must therefore put up signage so only EVs can use the lot? Madness.

Also here in Norway we have parking lots at workplaces that have EVSEs that are restricted to EVs in the morning. If no EV has claimed the space after say, 9am (when everyone has arrived at work), the space is free for anyone to use the rest of the day. This would be impossible to implement with those laws in place.

The way this law is written it is actually discouraging EVSE installs. And IMHO in no way similar to ADA as those spots are required to be there by law while EVSEs are not.

The holy grail of EV charging would of course be an EVSE at every space in a lot...
    "...running Tesla firmware."

Whoops, sorry. I got carried away there.

- - - Updated - - -

The way this law is written it is actually discouraging EVSE installs.
    One of many reasons why people frequently fret about "we gotta do something now!" demands for legislation without putting deep thought and evaluation into legislation before moving forward with it.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Blog Entries
    It is not really clear; but that's not how I read the law. (The interesting part is at the end of appendix C).

It sounds to me like you can install all the public EVSEs you want with no signs or markings. But if you want to make it a "charging station" - the difference being that it is more than just a parking spot with an optional amenity; it is now a space with the "primary purpose" of charging electric vehicles - then you define that "charging station" with the sign and paint. Then the law applies to that charging station.

I agree the text is not completely clear; but I am pretty certain the intent was not to mandate that EVSEs all have to be exclusive. Only that they can be, and then there are penalties for using them improperly.
    Roadster #690; Model S #112; Model X Reserved Plug In America How to plan a road trip - how long will it take?

I was at the Buelton SC last night at 9pm. The Marriott parking lot is adjacent to the SC's. Apparently the Marriott is the only game in town on a Friday night in Buelton as the parking lot was jammed with cars with others circling looking for spot. As they rolled past the 7 open SC spots not one tried to park there. Very surprising.
    P-83 (85KW) (Delivered 11/29/12)
    PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyl View Post
    On TM forums.....it is being reported that....

Burlington NC Supercharging station is under construction...

Plymouth, NC and Rocky Mount, NC are soon to be underway!

No Photos yet though....

I just uploaded several for the Burlington site here. It's definitely under construction as of 9/21.

Quote Originally Posted by voidptr View Post

I just uploaded several for the Burlington site here. It's definitely under construction as of 9/21.
    Good news.
    All three have been added to Wiki.

Thread Information