Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences in roadster versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are old threads you can find on this forum that describe most of the differences.
The biggest change was 1.5 -> 2.0 (at VIN #501) where they switched to a new motor/PEM. You can tell those right away from the VDS in the center (instead of to the left) with the push-button direction selector (instead of "stick-shift"). That is also when they removed the tach and replaced it with the kW power meter.
Soon afterwards they introduced the sport variant. The changes from 2.0 to 2.5 were more cosmetic. Perhaps the revised front and rear bumpers are the most noticeable... And the double DIN dashboard NAV upgrade option.

There is a whole history of seat upgrades. And exterior color options...

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Ok good so far, here are some specifics, please confirm or correct as needed:

Early Versions
Engineering Prototypes 5
Validation Prototypes 17

Version 1.5
Founders series 27
Signature series 100
Production series 400

Version 2.0 VIN#'s 501-?
New Motor design
New PEM design
Introduction of Sport model
VDS moved from left to center console
Push button shifting replaced lever shift knob
Replaced tach meter with kW power meter.

Version 2.5 Vin#'s ?-2500
Double DIN dashboard NAV upgrade option, 7" touchscreen display with back-up camera
A new look, which includes a new front fascia with diffusing vents, and rear diffuser
Directional forged wheels available in both silver and black
New seats with improved comfort, larger more supportive bolsters and a new lumbar support system
Power control hardware that enables spirited driving in exceptionally hot climates
Improved interior sound reduction including new front fender liner material to make the cabin quieter
PEM improvements for cooling

Roadsters shipped by Geo
North America 1464
Europe 799 ???
Asia 237 ???

Last edited:
The Sport model was available at the start of the 2.0/2010 models. #502 was a Sport:
My New Roadster 2.0 Sport

I might be wrong, but I think they delivered #501 as a non-sport customer car, but held onto #502 for internal evaluation for a long while (but eventually sold it I think.)
As I recall there was a bit of a delay between the first 2.0 customer delivery and the first "2.0 sport" delivery even though you are right that #501 is the first 2.0 and #502 is the first 2.0 sport.

• Informative
Version 2.0 VIN#'s 501-?
I recall the transition from 2.0 to 2.5 was a little "squishy". It didn't happen at a model year changeover like 1.5->2.0 did.
I think the 2.5's start showing up around VIN #964

More like 964-1464 (hmm, that is exactly 500...)

You may want to look at this posting:
Roadster production dates

Also, note, I dug up a lot of info (looking at Carfax and such) on North American bound Roadsters, but have very little knowledge of the European/Asia/Australia sequence. If you only talk of the last 4 digits of the VIN then there can be another (but non-North American) Roadster with a VIN that ends in the same last 4 digits.
The European VIN -> Model feature and production count list is a bit different from what went to North America, so you would likely want to try to track them separately.

• Informative
Directional forged wheels available in both silver and black
Power control hardware that enables spirited driving in exceptionally hot climates
PEM improvements for cooling

I believe that "Directional forged wheels available in both silver and black" were available for at least 2.0 and maybe 1.5. I believe that the change at 2.5 was just a different design (I thought just cosmetic).

I thought that most of the changes that improved cooling were done starting at the 2.0.

• Informative
Also later versions (past 783) had a plastic trunk flocked instead of exposed carbon fiber -

IMG_0619.JPG
flocked_trunk.JPG

So 1.0 was only the prototypes, and the first actual production Roadsters were 1.5? Interesting.
Some of the EPs, VPs, Founders and very early sig 100 started out with 1.0 drivetrain, but got upgraded/retrofitted with 1.5 as soon as it was available.
The original 1.0 idea called for a 2 speed gearbox. The 1.5 "redo" switched to single speed gearbox, but a vastly improved PEM that provided enough more low end torque to make up for the loss of a lower gear.

I believe that "Directional forged wheels available in both silver and black" were available for at least 2.0 and maybe 1.5. I believe that the change at 2.5 was just a different design (I thought just cosmetic).

Originally the Roadster was only offered with the silver finish forged wheel seen on the left here:
wheels15.jpg

(the black finish was mostly seen on 2.0 sports later.)
Part way through 2008 production, they switched to a standard cast wheel as seen here:
wheels20.jpg

And they made the forged wheel optional. For a while they were delivering cars with a dark finish (as seen in the right picture above) on the cast wheel, but switched to a shinier finish (on the left) later on.

With the 2.5s they switched the forged wheel option to a revised "pinwheel" design as seen here:
wheels25.jpg

Over time some people swapped wheels, or "mixed & matched" options so it isn't really clear to know what year or variation of Roadster will have which exact wheel.
Generally the black wheels tend to be on sports. Generally the cast wheels tend to be on non-sports. But there are exceptions to that as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
As they got close to 2010, they switched to a standard cast wheel as seen here:
wheels20.jpg

And they made the forged wheel optional.
Actually, this was a feature of the January 2009 price increase on the 2008MY which affected cars somewhere around VIN200 through VIN500. So this was, in fact, considered the standard wheel for the majority of the 2008MY cars. As you say, the iconic forged Tesla wheels became an added cost ($2300?) option.