Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would you not want remote cellular monitoring/control

For Roadster owners without OVMS/Tattler, why not?

• Privacy concerns

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Warranty concerns

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Initial cost

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On-going cellular cost

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Hassle dealing with another cellular SIM

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Complexity

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • OVMS/Tattler, what's that?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no need for this

• Other (please comment)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

markwj

Asia Pacific
Apr 10, 2011
Hong Kong
We've reached 100 OVMS units out there in Roadsters around the world, so I thought it would be interesting to see what people think. I've already heard from a lot of users - people who've got it and are using it - but, I'm interested in hearing from Roadster owners who don't have it. Specifically, why not?

I'm not trying to sell OVMS here. Really. Just interested in the future of EVs and connectivity to cars in general. After six months with it, I can't imagine not having the convenience of OVMS or Tattler in my Roadster, and would love it to be in my wife's car monitoring her gas gauge as well (next project, perhaps). Perhaps Model S in the future. But, I'm an edge-case. A tech-head who's seriously into gadgets, and let's face it, remote monitoring of your car - starting/stopping charges from an iPhone App - is a pretty cool gadget.

So, for those that (a) are Roadster owners, and (b) don't have OVMS or Tattler, why not?

Well the only reason I can see is for people doing shady things, both legal and illegal. If I were a congressman, and wanted to cheat on my wife I would think, I know that congressmen don't think (especially the ones who cheat on their wives), I would find such a device a liability. If I were a drug dealer I would rip out every GSM, GPS, and radio transmitter I could find.

Right now I carry a mobile phone with me everywhere. So I don't really expect privacy. But if I ever wanted it I would not want an OVMS of any sort powered on.

I do not have a OVMS. I do not have a Tesla Roadster. I am looking forward to manipulating my Tesla Model S remotely with my mobile phone.

Hi Mark
I would love to have this gadget, but being technically challenged, i won't be able to install it myself. As long as the Tesla rep won't do it (here in Switzerland) it'l be a non-issue for me. .. or if you'd come over and install it for a reasonable price, we're in business.

There was a post a few months ago that tesla was coming out with their own monitoring solution that would not require an additional wireless subscription. I am waiting for the official solution, makes it a lot easier than having to remember to disconnect a OVMS or Tattler device from the Roadster before taking it in for service or warranty work.

There was a post a few months ago that tesla was coming out with their own monitoring solution that would not require an additional wireless subscription. I am waiting for the official solution, makes it a lot easier than having to remember to disconnect a OVMS or Tattler device from the Roadster before taking it in for service or warranty work.
Right, I'd think this reason, which is missing from the poll, to be the main rationale for Roadster 2.0 owners to wait. Tesla has shown off an app for the Model S/X and has promised (though long overdue) something similar for the Roadster 2.x (which supposedly already has the necessarily hardware). I'm not sure what solution (if any) they'll have for the 500 or so Roaster 1.5s, though.

Of course, who's to say when the Tesla app will actually be available and which features they will allow you to have.

Hi Mark
I would love to have this gadget, but being technically challenged, i won't be able to install it myself. As long as the Tesla rep won't do it (here in Switzerland) it'l be a non-issue for me. .. or if you'd come over and install it for a reasonable price, we're in business.

Hi LST,

where in Switzerland are you? we are a few roadster owners with more or less tech knowledge who have the OVMS module. I'm sure you're close to one of us. if so order a unit if you are interested and we will help you install. I am not very technically inclined either and it took me only 15mins to install and a short mail to mark to set the servers and passwords correctly. very easy indeed. and it's a great help for when you're away from your roadster and want to check up on it or change the charge status or other things.

:)

Right, I'd think this reason, which is missing from the poll, to be the main rationale for Roadster 2.0 owners to wait. Tesla has shown off an app for the Model S/X and has promised (though long overdue) something similar for the Roadster 2.x (which supposedly already has the necessarily hardware). I'm not sure what solution (if any) they'll have for the 500 or so Roaster 1.5s, though.

Of course, who's to say when the Tesla app will actually be available and which features they will allow you to have.

The OVMS (and I expect the Tattler) is so inexpensive, easy to install, and such a useful/cool tool that waiting (even if Tesla does come out with one which doesn't require the extra, but insignificant cost, hardware) didn't make sense to me. If Tesla's is better I'm sure I'll use it instead when/if it comes out. The only real hassle for me is dealing with pre-paid mobile (i.e., needing to add money every 30 days to not lose previously added money, but it's so cheap, I guess they need to do some gimmicks to get extra money).

Hi Mark

I can help you in Switzerland if you can make it to Geneva. Installed my OVMS and wouldn't want to be without it!!! Installed in about 15 minutes. PM me if you need my help.

Craig

Hi LST,

where in Switzerland are you? we are a few roadster owners with more or less tech knowledge who have the OVMS module. I'm sure you're close to one of us. if so order a unit if you are interested and we will help you install. I am not very technically inclined either and it took me only 15mins to install and a short mail to mark to set the servers and passwords correctly. very easy indeed. and it's a great help for when you're away from your roadster and want to check up on it or change the charge status or other things.

:)

I'm I'm Switzerland too and can help of near Geneva... Actually we should all try and organize a little drive sometime! ;-)

Cheers,

Craig

The OVMS (and I expect the Tattler) is so inexpensive, easy to install, and such a useful/cool tool that waiting (even if Tesla does come out with one which doesn't require the extra, but insignificant cost, hardware) didn't make sense to me. If Tesla's is better I'm sure I'll use it instead when/if it comes out. The only real hassle for me is dealing with pre-paid mobile (i.e., needing to add money every 30 days to not lose previously added money, but it's so cheap, I guess they need to do some gimmicks to get extra money).

For people that have more than one Tesla vehicle it really does not make a whole lot of sense to purchase several OVMS/Tattlers as well as keeping tabs on prepaid cell phone subscriptions..Seems like a hassle

Can't wait for the official Tesla app to come out!

Right. Tesla's version might be weak compared to the OVMS. Just as the S&S Sharp adapter is what we want over Tesla's more expensive slightly-unwieldy cable. The OVMS might be the better solution and presumably faster to respond to customer's requests though Tesla might have better/deeper access to the car's functions. I figure they will have something to show in July maybe with the S rollout "This app works for both your cars".

Last edited:
Roadster # 1117 here. No OVMS/Tattler.

I don't have a smartphone. I have a stupid phone. All it does is make phone calls, and it does that to my complete satisfaction. Further, my Roadster lives in my garage when I'm not driving it. So I really don't need remote monitoring. If I'm out somewhere and I leave the car parked, I know how much range I have left. There are no charge stations I'd ever use. Spokane has some, but I don't believe I can plug into them, other than the useless 110-v. plugs. So I'm never in a position to need to monitor charging. At home I charge at 1:00 a.m.

So that's why I don't have the OVMS or Tattler. I do have the permission for Tesla to monitor my car set to always on. Presumably, if there's ever a serious fault, they'll be notified and they'll phone me. I do think OVMS sounds like a great idea. I just don't feel that my situation needs it, and without a smartphone it wouldn't be much use for me. (I considered getting an iPhone when Verizon got it. But I decided that I really have no use for a smartphone.)

i voted other.

the recurring cost is a minor deterrent (one thing i like about the roadster is that while my initial cost was high, the recurring (fuel/electrons) cost is low!

however, the thing that actually dissuaded me was watching the installation/demo video. the hardware and mounting/installation both felt a little inelegant such that i didn't like the idea of having it in the car and also never even read OVSM threads here despite reading almost all roadster threads a little obsessively.

however, i just checked before posting this and it turns out what was dissuading me from purchasing an OVMS was the installation/demo video for the tesla tattler. doh. i had in fact never actually seen the OVMS hardware which looks much cleaner!

i'll have to go back and read about the SIM card options/costs but i think this thread has catalyzed me into taking the OVMS plunge. :)

thanks!