Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVangelism - Who have you talked into an EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd imagine owning a Roadster would be a great help in convincing the awesomeness of Tesla to unbelievers but I am not so fortunate:wink:
So, I wear my Tesla Jacket just about everyday ( >99% of days since Factory event) or one of the hats.

There are 2 types of people that I mainly speak with about T:

1 the ones that are really genuinely interested / or don't know at all about it (but are still interested)
2 the ones that are 'interested' but have a 'Petersen' attitude (but not so outright anti-Tesla) I almost think they want to see it fail

I am starting to get annoyed with the same couple of people asking where the car is(2) / seeing me park my Ls430 and say 'is that a Tesla' . Those couple I think might be really interested (because it will be awesome, and they are engineers who I thought should use good judgment) but I would rather not let them even play in it because they talk *sugar* about bricking and batteries and range and this and that. But I should think it isn't really their fault and just misinformation.

So as far as I can tell there are at least 5 people around my office who are interested and financially could probably get an S but will like to see/ drive first I'm pretty sure
lot's of people who would love one but don't own a house yet / have kids and other $$ obligations

I plan on getting a standard performance S and my goal is to get 2 people in Eureka to get an S after seeing/riding/driving in mine

How many people have you turned to Tesla?

Two and counting!!

Has been relatively easy to talk about Tesla in the SF Bay Area given access to their two stores, the presence of the factory here and all the Roadsters running around! I've also been providing pointers to folks about these TMC forums to help convince them that these are no toys/golf carts, that there are several well-informed folks who have sprung for a Model S already and also that there are a lot of very happy Roadster owners around.

Toned down EVangelizing on Facebook and such though for fear of being seen as showing off...

I talk about Tesla all the time, but convincing persons into buying a Tesla is difficult stuff.
Here in Belgium charging stations are very rare (especially compared to the Netherlands for example) plus there are just not enough details available on the Model S.

I'm sure when final pricing is known and perhaps a tour here in the BeNeLux I might be able to convince some people.

So for now: 0

Tried to convince my multi-millionaire boss to get a Roadster about 2 years ago.

His response? "I'd never spend that much money on a car."

Need I remind you that:
a) He's a multi-millionaire
b) He already has two cars, that I know of (large Expedition and a Mini-Cooper), and he also has a speedboat and a very large house.

Something tells me that "I'd never spend that much on a car" isn't the real reason.

But I'm planning on taking him for a spin in the Model S when I get it. That might change his mind.

I'm working on a colleague of mine, as well as another friend. Once they get rides from me they may go for it.

One response I got from a person that could afford it was "I would not get a Tesla (Roadster) because I'd be too worried about door dings."

I am pretty worried myself!! people are ignorant, or very poor, or very stoned/meth/heroin, or a combo of all around here!! I see run lights and stop signs almost everyday, I think traffic accidents per capita is one of the highest in Eureka. I think worrying about range and charge will be non-existent compared to trying to park or drive safely

I've "sold" quite a few Model S reservations, but I'll never know how many.

As reported previously, I spent nine days showing my Roadster at the auto show in Toronto, where I talked to thousands of people. Over that time I got quite a few people interested in the Model S. Dozens were very seriously interested. Several told me they were going to make a reservation that day. One even came back a few hours later to tell me his reservation was in.

Also, over the past two years I've probably taken 200 people for spins in my Roadster, and talked to many more. I know at least one got a reservation - and probably more.

I convinced my mom in February. And she went to the Houston store last weekend. She called me up to tell me she is getting one when her BMW lease is up next November.

I never thought in a million years my mom would want an electric car.

I tried to convince my dad to get one. He seems to think them quaint toys. I think once I get mine he will change is mind quite quickly. But he already has 2 cars, and a motorcycle all for himself.

I told my brother I could sell him Carbon Credits because he drives a Nissan Titan.

My fiancee thinks I am crazy. But I know she will love the car.

My mom has seen a Model S, and I have not. She said it is one of the best looking cars, from the outside, that she has ever seen. I think this alone will sell some cars.

I sold 1.5. Originally it was two, and one of them was a Signature. Once the pricing and options came out, he was so frustrated with the premium charged for the Signature that he dropped his reservation down to a regular P. In reality, he went out and bought a Panamera, but hasn't bothered to get his $5000 back. In that time, I think I've convinced him to move the deposit to a Model X for his wife in a couple of years. He seems on the fence still, so that's why I say 1.5!

I'm actually bullish on selling more once I have the car in my neighborhood. We have about 200 houses in my development, and I see everything f rom Bentleys to Maseratis to Ferraris to Aston Martins. Porsches are so common I don't even count them. I'm fairly hopeful that once they see the Model S at least a few of them will be curious and ultimately order one. I've been considering whether it makes sense to put the charger outside my garage so it can be viewed by passerbys as opposed to putting it in the garage where no one would ever see it. On the other hand, that exposes it to the elements in a way I would prefer to avoid, so I'm pretty torn on this, and know I have only a month or two to decide before installing the HPC.

Got my custoemer Dean Devlin to buy one last week. I've been telling him about it for months and he finally pulled the trigger. He owns Roadster #19. Said he was going to wait until I had mine before deciding. I hope to convert many people to Tesla!

I haven't sold any that I'm aware of. I don't know anybody that could afford one, other than my sister and step-sister, and neither of them gives a hoot about the environment. However, I believe I've convinced a lot of people that Tesla is a good company, worth looking at when Bluestar comes out in their price range. And I may have convinced a few that electric transportation is a good idea. I don't think I've ever heard a negative comment either about my Zap Xebra or my Roadster, other than the limited speed and range of the Xebra and the price and size of the Roadster. The most common reasons I hear from people for not buying a Roadster is "I can't afford it," and "I don't think I'd fit inside it." The car takes some contortions to get in and out of, and I'm 5' 6 1/2 " tall and weigh 138 lbs.

Got my custoemer Dean Devlin to buy one last week. I've been telling him about it for months and he finally pulled the trigger. He owns Roadster #19. Said he was going to wait until I had mine before deciding. I hope to convert many people to Tesla!

Dean was a speaker at EVS 26.

"Do not tell people to buy electric cars because it's good for the planet! Tell them that driving electric vehicles is really great!" said Dean Devlin, producer of Cinema (Independence Day, Stargate, Godzilla), closing the 26th International Electric Vehicle Symposium with a humorous and pragmatic tone.

He put his car on Leverage and Produced Who killed the Electric Car convincing Chris Paine to buy a Roadster

I am pretty worried myself!! people are ignorant, or very poor, or very stoned/meth/heroin, or a combo of all around here!! I see run lights and stop signs almost everyday, I think traffic accidents per capita is one of the highest in Eureka. I think worrying about range and charge will be non-existent compared to trying to park or drive safely

I'll bet you're glad the S has a 5-star crash rating!