Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Voice Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started this thread because in my search I didn't find one specifically devoted to Model S's voice control (aside from speculation regarding Siri, etc.)

So let's put all voice control related info here.

First question:

We've all assumed the Model S has voice control...but I don't think I've seen it mentioned officially anywhere by Tesla. Not on the specs page, not on the features page. Nobody's tested it or seen it demoed, that I've seen.

I'm thinking the Model S doesn't have voice control. Anyone have confirmation that it does?

It has voice control as least for the audio system:

Revealing Model S Beta | Blog | Tesla Motors

excerpt:
"Tesla recently unveiled the Model S Beta and opened the Tesla Factory to about 3,000 reservation holders and guests. Closely approximating the fit, finish and performance of the production Model S coming out next year, the Betas showed off the vehicle’s special features, from the 17” touchscreen to the massive panoramic roof to the voice-command audio system and more. "

I started this thread because in my search I didn't find one specifically devoted to Model S's voice control (aside from speculation regarding Siri, etc.)

So let's put all voice control related info here.

First question:

We've all assumed the Model S has voice control...but I don't think I've seen it mentioned officially anywhere by Tesla. Not on the specs page, not on the features page. Nobody's tested it or seen it demoed, that I've seen.

I'm thinking the Model S doesn't have voice control. Anyone have confirmation that it does?

You didn't look hard enough :) Right there in that Siri thread that you mentioned, I posted a link.

Here's Elon using some voice commands, about 2:30 into this video. He says "play Rolling Stones". He makes it sound as if they're using Google's voice recognition API.

But I will say that I hope they offer extensive voice control, whether it's making phone calls, controlling the suspension, or opening up your garage door (via HomeLink)

You didn't look hard enough :) Right there in that Siri thread that you mentioned, I posted a link.

Here's Elon using some voice commands, about 2:30 into this video. He says "play Rolling Stones". He makes it sound as if they're using Google's voice recognition API.

But I will say that I hope they offer extensive voice control, whether it's making phone calls, controlling the suspension, or opening up your garage door (via HomeLink)

Thanks for that, I'd actually forgotten seeing it myself since they so rarely show it. I hope car functions aren't dependent on internet access and don't require me to select something on screen after I've already said what I wanted. Also noticed you need to push a button -- the car isn't always listening (which would have been kinda cool, but probably very problematic)

My Honda has voice control. You activate the "listen" part by pulling a paddle on the steering column. I played with it a bit when the van was new, but with all the ambient noise (kids, etc) it only worked about 10% of the time. I'm hoping Tesla has improved this and made it much more useable. It's a great idea, but with most things, the details are what kill you.

Ah thanks guys. As much as a creepy freak I am on this site (spending time every day here), I can't believe I missed and/or forgot about that!

Edit: UGH. I can definitely tell I'm getting old...I passed my 32.5 birthday in March...and it shows! ;) I've watched that October rollout video with Elon probably 5 times.

Maybe I just should've had more for breakfast...

My mom had a Lincoln Navigator for a short while. It had 'voice control' navigation system. You pressed a button on the steering wheel and then it chimed, then you said what you wanted. It always responded "Showing points of higher education" and then chugged for about 1 minute before it would register the cancel button.

This was in 2003 or so. So nothing recent. But whenever anyone in my family tries to use 'voice control' at least one of us will respond "Showing points of higher education."

Ah thanks guys. As much as a creepy freak I am on this site (spending time every day here), I can't believe I missed and/or forgot about that!

Edit: UGH. I can definitely tell I'm getting old...I passed my 32.5 birthday in March...and it shows! ;) I've watched that October rollout video with Elon probably 5 times.

Maybe I just should've had more for breakfast...

Should have slept at a Holiday Inn.:wink::biggrin:

I confirmed at the Toronto event that it is indeed based on Google's voice recognition software; it isn't yet finalized (or at least public) exactly what voice control will all do, whether it is a list of commands (like most/all car voice commands) or whether it is more like Siri. I'm thinking for now at least it will be the list. I never asked, but along with the "customizable" trend they're going for I'm hoping the responding voice will be customizable - I hate the voice in my 2012 Explorer.

It looks like voice control will not be available at launch but vehicles will be updated later:

Wolverton: Tesla's Model S is fast and fun - SiliconValley.com

The console also doesn't support voice control. So you can't press a button and tell it to dial a phone number for you or change the channel. Tesla's chief technology officer, J.B. Straubel, said the company plans to add voice control using Google Voice, but it's not available at launch. And sorry, iPhone fans, the company doesn't yet plan to support the new hands-free capabilities Apple (AAPL) is adding to its Siri feature.

The Model S would be an ideal candidate for voice control because it's so quiet inside. Extraneous noise can be a challenge for voice control systems.

Right. The Model S is one car where the voice control might actually work. It's pretty much useless in the Prius--unless you frequently set the temperature to 68 degrees. It seems to default to that command.

Latest info from my Tesla rep, received within the last few hours:

Question said:
Is voice control planned for a future software update? If so, when is the expected release of that feature? Elon demonstrated it at the event in October but nobody's seen or heard anything since.

Tesla Representative said:
Voice control is indeed a planned feature addition in subsequent software updates. It is important to note that voice control will require internet connectivity. The timeframe for the introduction of this feature is still to be determined, and will be added as soon as it is fully ready for action.