Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs Lincoln MK Z 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
Saw the Lincoln and thought it shared a lot of similarities with the Model S. Easily arguable that's it's nothing like the S but I say the design decisions made could have gone either way. The grill, and the interior both could have both been swapped. The pano roof is very similar and the interior choices comes from a similar place just like the red color almost the same team feel.

I looked at the pictures and video of the Linclon on the website and don't see it like I did in person. Would be good to get the cars next to each other in real life. The MK Z has a shorter nose.

I also note the Lincoln has a lot of gadgety features that are extra on the 2012 that are free in the 2013 and much less expensive than the S.

Saw the Lincoln and thought it shared a lot of similarities with the Model S. Easily arguable that's it's nothing like the S but I say the design decisions made could have gone either way.

My Dad drove Lincolns. They were always in the shop. I think I'll pass--even at 1/4 the price.

My Dad drove Lincolns. They were always in the shop. I think I'll pass--even at 1/4 the price.

Agreed. But it was my grandfather and of his 3 Lincoln's they all stranded us several times. A few Caddy's as well and a Ram van on the way home from the dealer going 60 on the highway when it just died. Model S is the first American car I've ever considered buying.

Pano roof concept sounds interesting in that the whole roof opens up, nice that someone mainstream finally ditched the column/console shifter. Design is 3 steps forward from the old design, and thankful they finally ditched the waterfall grill design language. Not sure I can say it is reminiscent of the Model S in anything but concept given the notchback design though.

I looked at the pictures and video of the Linclon on the website and don't see it like I did in person. Would be good to get the cars next to each other in real life. The MK Z has a shorter nose.

I also note the Lincoln has a lot of gadgety features that are extra on the 2012 that are free in the 2013 and much less expensive than the S.

I would have to agree that the MKZ get its queues from the Model S but Lincoln is including some technology that Tesla Motors has not reported that will be included in the Model S. We also have to keep in minds that Lincoln is offering the MKZ with an inexpensive drivetrain therefore they can offer more in the tech department.

Last edited:
Agreed. But it was my grandfather and of his 3 Lincoln's they all stranded us several times. A few Caddy's as well and a Ram van on the way home from the dealer going 60 on the highway when it just died. Model S is the first American car I've ever considered buying.

Right there with you although my previous car, the Acura TL, was actually assembled in Marysville, Ohio.

My wife's uncle is a longtime Ford employee (engineer) who firmly advises friends and family to stay as far away from Ford as possible :(

So after reading and replying to this thread earlier today, we went out for a quick Costco run, and got held up leaving because a woman had to have her Lincoln towed right behind us. She said it just wouldn't start, and boosting did nothing.

American cars have made huge strides with reliability in the past few years. They are considerably more reliable than most European cars, and have pretty much pulled even with the Japanese autos. Sadly, old perceptions do die hard.

Fool me once. shame on you. Fool me twice. Shame on me.

Sorry, but besides the poor cars my Dad had. I tried when "Quality is job 1", and again when "Have you driven one lately". No difference as far as I could tell. I'm thinking that enough advertising changes perceptions more than actual change does. On the other hand, my two Prius have been as perfect as any car can be.

Fool me once. shame on you. Fool me twice. Shame on me.

Sorry, but besides the poor cars my Dad had. I tried when "Quality is job 1", and again when "Have you driven one lately". No difference as far as I could tell. I'm thinking that enough advertising changes perceptions more than actual change does. On the other hand, my two Prius have been as perfect as any car can be.

Yeah, I remember the "Quality is job 1" thing. They were using that slogan when they sold me most unreliable piece of junk I've ever owned.