Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from a Volt driver soon to become an S driver as well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a Chevy Volt for about 6 months and as I'm almost always on battery power it's completely sold me on electric vehicles. The Volt is a very well engineered and built car, and my hat's off to GM for a superb job with this vehicle. I never thought I'd buy a GM car but this one is in a class by itself.

I've not yet put any gas in the Volt and it's now become a game to drive so that the gas generator never turns on. So for me, even though with the gas generator the car is good for over 300 miles, with the Volt there's a different kind of range anxiety -- not driving a distance that will turn on the generator. Most of time I drive less than 25 miles a day, so this is not an issue. But when I contemplate a trip that I know will result in consuming gas I want to avoid it.

Enter the S. Put in my reservation last week, and my reservation sequence number is in the high 8,000s. When my turn comes, I'll be buying the Performance 85kw version, with almost all the options. For me, the 300 mile range will meet almost all of my needs, as even as my long drives rarely go more than 300 miles in single day. Yes, I know that at highway speeds the range will be lower, but I can manage that.

I was told by Tesla that I'd have a year's wait but I'm hoping some people ahead of me in line will drop out and Tesla will ramp up production faster than they're assuming now. Fingers crossed. For me a year is too long to wait for this revolutionary car.

If you want a shorter wait and you are already looking at a fully optioned car, then get yourself added to the Signature Waiting List.

P8000 delivery in May seems a little later than expected if we're only counting deliveries to the US market, but I think you're behind basically all of the international cars so May 2013 makes sense in that light.

If you got lucky and enough Sigs drop out to let you in on a Sig, then delivery is roughly October this year.

Or you could get a used low mileage Roadster for about $80k. I decided to go Sig route in roughly Oct of last year, so I'm hopeful to get my car in late Aug or early Sept this year. I'll likely get the Perf version too.

Thanks Jason S. I've been thinking a lot about the wait and I've concluded it may be a good thing, as Tesla will no doubt make improvements as they iron out bugs.

If you want a shorter wait and you are already looking at a fully optioned car, then get yourself added to the Signature Waiting List.

P8000 delivery in May seems a little later than expected if we're only counting deliveries to the US market, but I think you're behind basically all of the international cars so May 2013 makes sense in that light.

If you got lucky and enough Sigs drop out to let you in on a Sig, then delivery is roughly October this year.

Or you could get a used low mileage Roadster for about $80k. I decided to go Sig route in roughly Oct of last year, so I'm hopeful to get my car in late Aug or early Sept this year. I'll likely get the Perf version too.

The Volt is a great car, and works far better than a BEV for some people now.

But still, with that short all-electric range, it really does promote more gas anxiety than any other car.
Plug-in Prius?

Sorry, off-topic. Please see the EREV/EVER vs. Pure EVs thread for that generic discussion.

---

artsci, congrats on your Model S reservation, and may you be successful in never starting the gas engine in your Volt again (unless it wants you to for maintenance reasons...)