Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S for renters (a.k.a. non-homeowners) / Renting creating hurdle for EV adoption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having come out of school right when the housing market was ballooning I never bought a home. I called BS on the market then, and I'm glad I was right and held off. But even now I still don't think owning residential real estate is a good investment. It should strictly be a lifestyle decision. And considering that I like being mobile, I have always rented.

So, I'm curious what my options are for charging the Model S since I am a renter. Currently I rent a house on the east coast, but will be moving to Portland, OR for several months as a part of a contracting gig. But wherever I end up when my Model S is ready for delivery, I have two rental choices essentially (renting a house with garage, or renting an apartment with no garage). Renting a house makes it far easier, since the garage will presumably at least have a 110V outlet in it. However, I don't want to charge with just 110V, and feel like I'm either left finding a rental house that just so happens to have 240V outlets in the garage (rare, considering most washer/dryers are in a separate room) or asking the homeowner if he would allow me to install a 240V outlet in his garage. If I rent an apartment on the other hand, then I feel as if I'm completely SOL. I'd have to find some carport or garage (with electrical outlets in them) and even then, it would have to be next door to the apartment complex to make it practical.

So I have two questions. How are renters getting by who currently own a Roadster? How do renters who have reserved a Model S plan to charge their car?

And do you see owning an electric car as a renter to be impractical to the point that it limits the potential EV market? Let's face it, 1/3 of Americans rent their home (and that number may be greater when you only consider people of driving age) and that's a lot of people that are largely disqualified as being a potential EV consumer. The Leaf would be the perfect city car except for the fact that even fewer people in urban areas own their own home or have access to their own, individual carport with an electrical outlet (many use large, shared parking structures). What good is owning a Leaf in the city if you don't have anywhere to plug it in? I see this as a huge hurdle for EVs to gain truly widespread adoption. The whole renter's parking infrastructure needs to be retrofitted with electrical outlets / charging ports, and that's not going to happen overnight.

Last edited:
A very valid concern that's remained unspoken given the assumed demographics of the Roadster owners and folks in general on this forum; I'm essentially implying that probably 4 out of 5 folks on here are homeowners. I vaguely recall a poll about homeownership a long time ago?!

It's also a problem for condo owners in cities like SF or NYC (Manhattan) where on-street parking is more common than having a garage/attached-carport.

All the several EV owners that I know of at my workplace are homeowners as well... I agree that most apartment complexes with separate and spread-out carports are not suitable for EVs at all :(

A lot of apartments or townhouses with garages have the washer/dryer in the garage to save precious space. If that is the case, you have minimally a NEMA 14-30 220-240V outlet for use. I remember renting a place that had just that arrangement. An electrician can easily set up a NEMA 14-50 for you if that is the case. Might help you decide on which place to rent...

I live in a townhouse without a garage so I had an electrician run a curbside 240v connection to charge my Volt. When my S arrives I'll be all set. This is a very good solution, as the Volt charger is designed for both indoor and outdoor use, as is the Model S High Power Wall Connector.

A very valid concern that's remained unspoken given the assumed demographics of the Roadster owners and folks in general on this forum; I'm essentially implying that probably 4 out of 5 folks on here are homeowners. I vaguely recall a poll about homeownership a long time ago?!

It's also a problem for condo owners in cities like SF or NYC (Manhattan) where on-street parking is more common than having a garage/attached-carport.

All the several EV owners that I know of at my workplace are homeowners as well... I agree that most apartment complexes with separate and spread-out carports are not suitable for EVs at all :(

I live in a townhouse without a garage so I had an electrician run a curbside 240v connection to charge my Volt. When my S arrives I'll be all set. This is a very good solution, as the Volt charger is designed for both indoor and outdoor use, as is the Model S High Power Wall Connector.

Presumably you own this townhouse. And there was no issue with the homeowners' association complaining about that install?

onlinespending,
When do you get to Portland? Hopefully, it will be in the summer, it's awesome here. Are you looking to be close in to downtown or out further? Maybe you can rent a room from a Tesla owner (sorry, I'm not renting out rooms)? There are a couple of condos in the Pearl that have EV charging stations in the garage. You might be able to find a rental in one of those.

yes, there's certainly a fair share of people that street park their cars. When I lived in SF, the condo building I was in had a basement parking deck, but certainly there are no electrical outlets there. Hell, I didn't even have an assigned spot as it was valet parking.

Last edited:
onlinespending,
When do you get to Portland? Hopefully, it will be in the summer, it's awesome here. Are you looking to be close in to downtown or out further? Maybe you can rent a room from a Tesla owner (sorry, I'm not renting out rooms)? There are a couple of condos in the Pearl that have EV charging stations in the garage. You might be able to find a rental in one of those.

Thanks for suggestions! I actually get there in a week and will be staying in Goose Hollow in order to be closer to the Intel campuses. Fortunately I signed only a 6 month lease so I should be OK until I have to accept delivery of the Model S.

I would think it would be a rare and stupid landlord who would not allow the renter to pay for improvements to the house.
Offer to pay to install an outlet in the garage, if they won't let you do that, find someplace else to live.

Thanks for suggestions! I actually get there in a week and will be staying in Goose Hollow in order to be closer to the Intel campuses. Fortunately I signed only a 6 month lease so I should be OK until I have to accept delivery of the Model S.

Goose Hollow is pretty good location. Welcome to Oregon (and Intel). Remember to update your pin on the map! WashingtonSquare Mall should have a Tesla store open soon.

There are apartments near me in Seattle that have L2 chargers already. This particular apt complex also has solar panels on the roof.

My old place in Beaverton, OR had free parking in assigned carports and rental garages. I rented one of the garages and probably could get the management company to install an L2 charger in it but they loved me as I had been a model resident for 5 years.

In the end it will add value to install chargers at various carports or garages in an apt complex. It is something that they will have to deal with regardless. The issues are:
  • installation cost
  • how to bill the electricity to the user
  • how to prevent unauthorized use

My suspicion is that large complexes will look to chargepoint or blink to solve this infrastructure issue and then issue cards to those services for residents.

States like California have laws that do not allow Condo associations to deny EVSEs (or solar).

Right on. I had to read the riot...er... California Solar Rights Act to my HOA to get my Solar PV system in place (they 'felt' that my home would look "too different" from the rest of the community!). Didn't know there was an EVSE rights act as well.

If you are at the Hillsboro campus, then a Goose Hollow to Hillsboro round-trip commute should be about 30 miles. If Intel has places to charge on campus, then no problem. However, if not, then the 300 mile Model S should allow you to charge only on weekends if your rental place lacks charging options. Like drbradfo said, Wash Square should be opening soon and hopefully they'll have chargers there. I can think of worse ways to spend a couple of hours than at the mall.

I don't think any of the Hillsboro campus (Ronler Acres, Hawthorn Farms, or Jones Farm) have J1772. I seem to remember only the old Avcon paddle. But maybe that has changed. And welcome to Intel employees - I left Intel just over a year ago to launch the new Intel-GE spinoff. But I'm in Portland on a regular basis - and am planning on bringing my Roadster up sometime soon.

I don't think any of the Hillsboro campus (Ronler Acres, Hawthorn Farms, or Jones Farm) have J1772. I seem to remember only the old Avcon paddle. But maybe that has changed. And welcome to Intel employees - I left Intel just over a year ago to launch the new Intel-GE spinoff. But I'm in Portland on a regular basis - and am planning on bringing my Roadster up sometime soon.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Wherever I am at when I accept delivery of the Model S, I'll need to sort out the rental thing. Wanting to own an EV certainly puts restrictions on the type of place you can rent. Or who knows, maybe the Model S will be the impetus for me to finally purchase a place!

Would still love to hear what other renters have done or plan to do to accommodate an electric car.

P.S. Would love to see that Roadster ;)

P.S. Would love to see that Roadster ;)

Sometime this summer. I promised both our engineering team in Portland and former Intel colleagues that I'd bring it up. And since there is the Tesla Highway to provide me with 70amp HPC charging, it's an easy trip.

If you ever take the shuttle to the Folsom campus, let me know. I'm not that far away.

My wife and I are renters for the exact same reasons you cite. We're able to live in a nice house for way less than the mortgage and property taxes (and when something breaks we just call the landlord).

The place we were living when we got the Roadster had a NEMA 6-20 in the garage already for an air compressor the owner had when he lived there. So I was able to charge at 220V 16A which was fine for my short commute. The new place we moved into I asked the landlord if I could run a 6-30 (house only had a 100A panel and it's old - a 14-50 would have required a new panel) and he said it was fine. So my Dad and I ran 2 6-30's into the rafters for the Roadster and Model S. It should only cost a few hundred bucks to have a circuit run and I can't imagine a landlord not letting you improve their place - they could advertise that it's "EV-Ready" when you move out.

I haven't spent any time in Portland but it's common down here (SF Bay Area) for houses to have the washer and dryer in the garage so you'll likely have a NEMA 10-30 for the dryer that you can use if you don't want to run a circuit.

Yes, I do own it. No issues with the homeowner's association. In fact, when the car is plugged it attracts much very good attention from neighbors, and these become an opportunity for me to explain the great virtues of electric cars. Normally the homeowner's association is a PIA about these kinds of things, but I think they decided that it's a good idea to not to fight this kind of improvement. Actually, as electric cars become far more popular I think having done this will add to the resale value of the house.

Presumably you own this townhouse. And there was no issue with the homeowners' association complaining about that install?