Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much is 40kWh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Well I was doing some energy unit conversions for work. And well decided to find out how much energy is 40kWh.

Well 2,000 Calories (kcal) is about 2.3 kWh of electricity. So after about 17 days you consume a full Model S battery pack, this would get you about 10 miles. It only takes 10 days to consume a LEAF battery pack.

Another way is 40kWh is 34,000 kcal, the Calories that you eat.

An 'Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries with Ranch Dressing' is 2,900 Calories, so 12 of them will power your Model S roughly 160 miles.

I don't think people realize how much energy is in their food.

According to the FitWatch calculator, a 150-lb person hiking with a light load for 8 hours burns 4,000 calories. I assume that's above basal metabolism. Assuming 3.5 mph (a brisk pace for me on level ground without a pack) that's 28 miles. 34,000 calories would last 8.5 days so would cover 238 miles. The Model S covers 160 miles on the same energy. But the Model S weighs 3,825 lbs (?). Add that 150-lb person to it and it's close to 4,000 lbs, or 26 times the mass of the hiker. So the car is very efficient indeed.

Someone should replicate @daniel's calculations for long-distance bicyclists.
According to the same calculator, putting in my age and height (63, 5' 6") cycling for an hour at 12 mph burns 480 calories. That's 3,840 calories in an 8-hour day, so almost the same number of calories per day as the hiker, but traveling 96 miles instead of 28 for the hiker. The 34,000 calories would last just over the same 8.5 days (I need more rest time when biking than when hiking, but maybe that's just me). So 816 miles, or 5 times as far as the Model S. But again, the car is much heavier and keeps the rain off you. And the car is 26 1/2 times heavier than the bike & rider. And the car can carry 5 people and probably does not lose significant range doing so.

Looks as though the car with a full load is as efficient as the same number of people on bicycles. Not bad at all!

Caveat: I think my numbers are right, but I've been known to misplace decimal points, and some assumptions about pace were necessary when plugging into the on-line calculator.

The exercise calculator I used is HERE.