Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen/windshield squirter reboot problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wiper fluid ran out (yeah, embarrassing) and I refilled it, and now it won't squirt at all, even though the reservoir is full. Any suggestions? I tried cleaning the nozzles.

I know TEG, Nigel and Bonnie will all have plenty of fun with this but look, people, it's a real problem and it could happen to anyone. :redface:

Thanks in advance.

You might need to prime the pump. Get a friend and cover the nozzles w/ your fingers. Have your friend activate and hold the washer. You should feel some pressure on your finger. Gently release and see if liquid is coming out. If not, cover it again. Try this a few times and you should get fluid.

You might need to prime the pump. Get a friend and cover the nozzles w/ your fingers. Have your friend activate and hold the washer. You should feel some pressure on your finger. Gently release and see if liquid is coming out. If not, cover it again. Try this a few times and you should get fluid.

Thanks, I'll try this first. It does remind me of the time MPT "accidentally" squirted me in the face with wiper fluid from my car while checking something in my car at one of our meets...

Mine just ran out (or maybe clogged) We have very hard water coming out of he ground that makes sinks and showers dry white. I'm thinking distilled water.

Once a friend bought some "windshield wiper fluid" from a autoparts store. It ate his paint. I'm sticking with water.

Mine ran out and it took a *LONG LONG* time for it to start pumping again. It just takes a while (and IIRC Tesla told me that's expected because I reported it as broken and they told me to just keep running it).

So my wiper fluid ran out (yeah, embarrassing) and I refilled it, and now it won't squirt at all, even though the reservoir is full. Any suggestions? I tried cleaning the nozzles.

Elon has a cross-company fix for this...

kmhn601l.jpg

Mine ran out and it took a *LONG LONG* time for it to start pumping again. It just takes a while (and IIRC Tesla told me that's expected because I reported it as broken and they told me to just keep running it).

Strider's fix almost worked for me; I get pressure and then when I take my fingers off the nozzles it squirts but only once. It does seem to be consistent with the pump having air in it (aka "needing to be primed"). I get the same problem with my espresso machine. I'll try a more protracted run later; I didn't try for long this time because my assistant is only 4 yrs old and was beginning to lose interest [he can't reach the pedals to put the car in drive, BTW]. I'm also worried that I'm going to burn my paint off with the wiper fluid now (previously was distilled water). Thanks for the suggestions.

You probably have algae growth in your reservoir clogging the outlet. The OEM fluid did not have enough alcohol to prevent growth. This happened to me as well. Simply remove the tank and clean the screen and refill with normal fluid. Prime the pump and you're good to go.

I think the OEM fluid is water, or at least it used to be. Fortunately I was smart enough to replace it with proper washer fluid before the first winter hit. Other owners had their sprayers freeze solid. California companies, I tell ya!

Fortunately I was smart enough to replace it with proper washer fluid before the first winter hit. Other owners had their sprayers freeze solid. California companies, I tell ya!

It's no better in Texas. The fluid is coloured blue but freezes when the temperature is below 40.

This story was in today's paper:

Last May until April was the hottest 12-month period on record for the nation with records going back to 1895. This year so far has seen the hottest March, the third warmest April and the fourth warmest January and February in U.S. weather history. And it was one of the least snowy years on record in the Lower 48.

Some people called it the year without winter.

They changed the fluid manufacturer at some point and whatever it was would freeze very easily. Mine froze solid the winter before last. When I complained about it, that's what I was told.
These days I use the Rain-X fluid.