Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Test Drive... done it recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a little curious that Menlo Park ended up with so many Euro spec Roadsters recently.
I wonder if they could be doing drivetrain prep for delivery to non-USA, non-Europe... Such as headed to Asia or Australia...?

Then there is the theory that they were display cars in the stores but now are about to be replaced by Model S demos.
(If so, then it would probably make sense to send them back to Europe and sell them.)

A small mystery...

Last edited:
I see a bunch in the Menlo Park location... just wondering, how do I even start the conversation? Hello, mind if I take that around the block sir??

When I was there in October (ages ago, I know) there was a couple people coming back from a test drive for kicks and giggles from that store. They offered one before they even knew why I was there and I declined with the excuse that it just wasn't comparable.

Mostly I figure the S for a more refined ride overall. Tho the Roadster is prolly every bit the lightweight supercar, I was looking to compare to sedan, not sportscar.

The plan was that all the US stores would have a non sell-able Eurospec Roadster on the floor. (I guess if there is room). Maybe they are being prepped at MP?

Yeah, maybe we have it backwards and they area heading towards the stores.

If they are going to be doing static store duty perhaps it would make sense to remove the battery packs to use as spares on USA street-legal Roadsters that need pack repairs.

Last edited:
When I was there in October (ages ago, I know) there was a couple people coming back from a test drive for kicks and giggles from that store. They offered one before they even knew why I was there and I declined with the excuse that it just wasn't comparable.

Mostly I figure the S for a more refined ride overall. Tho the Roadster is prolly every bit the lightweight supercar, I was looking to compare to sedan, not sportscar.

I hear you, but I have been holding my reservation for a long LONG time and I am just itching, no, at this point salivating at getting behind the wheel of a Tesla and feeling the electric motor and have some point of reference to feel what the regenerative braking experience is like. I'm itching I tell ya! ;)

Hi All,

Anyone recently taken a Roadster for a test drive? As a Model S reservation holder, can I ask to take one even though my only intentions are to purchase a Model S? I know they aren't even selling it anymore but can the accommodate if asked?
As a Model S reservation holder, I'm sure they'd have let you test-drive a Roadster as long as they had a demo available. Obviously, you won't be allowed to take someone else's car out for a drive. If the display cars are not street legal they would not be able to let you drive one. So you may have missed your chance.

Renting one sounds like a great idea, as you are "itching" to drive one.

Not in the same class of car, but I was curious about the Volt, so I went to the nearest Chevy dealership. I told them I'm not going to buy one since I already own an EV, but could I drive one just to see what it feels like? They were happy to let me. I think Tesla was more particular about who they allowed to drive a Roadster, but a Model S reservation holder certainly would have been allowed to.

One or two Roadster owners have reported allowing people to drive their cars, so if that rental place is too far away for you, maybe you could find someone who'd let you drive theirs. I'd be scared to let anyone drive mine.

I'm sure the S will be far more refined. The Roadster is small and getting in and out requires some contortion even for me, and I'm 5' 6.5" and 138 lbs. The seats are so uncomfortable that I use a double cushion. The driver's seat moves forward and back a few inches, but has no other adjustments. The optional "infotainment" system is a joke.

The car handles like a dream and has torque up the wazoo and is more fun to drive than a barrel of monkeys, but "refined" is not a word I'd use for it. Driving the S will be an entirely different experience. I'm not willing to go all the way to Seattle to test drive one (I would if I could make it at freeway speed without a charging stop) but I'm hoping that some day they'll bring one to Spokane for test drives.

I hear you, but I have been holding my reservation for a long LONG time and I am just itching, no, at this point salivating at getting behind the wheel of a Tesla and feeling the electric motor and have some point of reference to feel what the regenerative braking experience is like. I'm itching I tell ya! ;)
If you're cool w/ a run up and down Canada road you can drive my car - I'm up in the Belmont Hills near 92 and 280. PM me and we can set something up.

If you're cool w/ a run up and down Canada road you can drive my car - I'm up in the Belmont Hills near 92 and 280. PM me and we can set something up.

That is a super cool offer strider! Thank you!! I'll let you know if the Menlo Park office doesn't let me take one for a stroll. With the Model S projected to move on June 22nd however, I maybe able to test drive that here as well! :)

THANKS AGAIN!!