Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reliability of #ElectricCar charging networks varies wildly study says

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This doesn't surprise me. The only time I ever used a Blink charger, it didn't work initially. It turns out that the hotel that had them installed didn't have their Blink accounts activated. How the installers left without activated their accounts is beyond me but they did.

Excellent research too by Tom. Nice work.

Last edited:
I agree Tom does excellent work. My first experience with a Blink was at a Mariott and they did not have the necessary card and did not know one was required. I had stopped by just to check as I was planning to stay at the hotel on my return trip in a few days. To their credit they had it operational, and called me before I set off on my return trip to let me know they were ready for me.

I agree Tom does excellent work. My first experience with a Blink was at a Mariott and they did not have the necessary card and did not know one was required. I had stopped by just to check as I was planning to stay at the hotel on my return trip in a few days. To their credit they had it operational, and called me before I set off on my return trip to let me know they were ready for me.

I wish I had done this but wasn't possible as it was 250 miles away. Did learn a valuable lesson. You should ask the brand of charger or charging network they have, if they have a card activated to use it, and if anyone has ever successfully used the charger. The Blink I had used was installed last November but had never been used and the card wasn't activated (I don't have a Blink card either). Didn't find that out until I pulled in at 11PM with only 15 ideal miles left so found a 110V outlet fortunately to charge overnight.

So I heard that the local council was no longer paying the back office fee to Elektromotive, one of the original suppliers of the poorly placed, expensive to use, next to useless, unreliable 13A charging posts in the UK. So I went to check it out.

This is what happens when one entity has control over charging and then changes its policy...

AtSJ_2LCAAElQLT.jpg:large

I wonder if they are in at 9 pm on a Saturday?

I can't believe they bothered with 13A charging stations. It's not much better here in the US but at least they are 30A stations. They place all of them in cities instead of between cities and then complain that people don't use them.

Congrats to you and your effort. We need more of what you're doing over here too. Unfortunately, all of the DOE's (Department of Energy) funded efforts and other projects only install J1772 at 30A and then only in cities. No one has bothered to create any sort of network set up for traveling. Why couldn't the DOE simply fund charging stations at every highway rest stop? Granted, their typical 30A stations wouldn't be great but at least it would be an option.