Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Oatmeal: Nikola Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a cult around Nikola Tesla, and I strongly suspect that he deserves credit for about half of what his cult following claims. He was a genius and also a crackpot. He made some discoveries that changed the world, including alternating current. He also made some claims that are just wacko. He's a fascinating man, but not the god some of his boosters would have us believe.

I think it was cool and appropriate to name an electric car company after him. But the name, and the man, had nothing to do with my buying my Tesla Roadster, though I was aware of the man long before the company existed. (He was a cult figure even then.) It was the amazingness of the car itself that prompted me to buy it, made possible by the vision of the founders and the brilliance and hard work of the engineers. (And, I gather, some technology leased from AC Propulsion.)

Good article. Too many people regard Tesla as a superman. He was not. He was a brilliant man. But as the article says, it's a great mistake to attribute all good things to Tesla alone while demonizing Edison and brushing aside the many other brilliant women and men, upon whose work Tesla built, and who improved on Tesla's work, and some few of whom were more brilliant.

Tesla was remarkable for combining great brilliance with some colossal crackpottery. He was flashy. He was wonderful. He was a great choice for the name of an innovative car company. But he was not a god, and the present idolatry of him is unwarranted.

... gargle Steve Ballmer's sweaty testicles ...

Only my laugh prevented me from vomiting at this imagery.

ballmer-sweat.jpg

I am a child.