Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground clearance of Performance vs. Standard S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeeps17

Cath Jockey in a P85
Mar 17, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Hello everyone,

With the Canadian Beta tour being in full swing, I will finally get the opportunity to see an S in the flesh, but expect that I will not be able to assess the performance version (which I am considering getting) for quite a while.

For those of you lucky enough to have seen the white perf beta, did you note whether the ground clearance was lower than the other cars on display?

It's an important variable, given that my S will be driven in the snow quite often (and I do NOT plan to double it as a snow plow).

If the air suspension can be locked to a "normal" setting on demand, this would be a non-issue, but I am unsure about this as well.

Anyone with a tape measure in their car going to see the perf beta?? :wink:

Salut Jeeps,

I have the same concern and plan to get the air suspension because of a pent up driveway, that requires higher clearance than normal, where it meets the street.
So once you have the hardware, it is just a function of getting the software to support this feature.

After all, this is a " software defined car "...

attachment.php?attachmentid=5924&d=1336616771.jpg

The Canadian tour car (44) was set to high air shocks, and it looked to be a couple of inches higher than normal.

Salut Jeeps,

I have the same concern and plan to get the air suspension because of a pent up driveway, that requires higher clearance than normal, where it meets the street.
So once you have the hardware, it is just a function of getting the software to support this feature.

After all, this is a " software defined car "...

The Model S with adjustable air suspension will be able to raise sufficiently to ingress or egress a steeper than usual driveway. It will already be part of the software offered.

@Jeeps17 The Performance did not appear to be lower than any of the signature models on display when I saw them at Fashion Island last week.

The Canadian tour car (44) was set to high air shocks, and it looked to be a couple of inches higher than normal.
When I sat in one in Nov 2011 I suggested they should have it go to high mode for easier ingress/egress. I wonder if it is higher now because of feedback like that.

Would be a shame if folks just figured it was high like that all the time.

Hello everyone,

With the Canadian Beta tour being in full swing, I will finally get the opportunity to see an S in the flesh, but expect that I will not be able to assess the performance version (which I am considering getting) for quite a while.

For those of you lucky enough to have seen the white perf beta, did you note whether the ground clearance was lower than the other cars on display?

It's an important variable, given that my S will be driven in the snow quite often (and I do NOT plan to double it as a snow plow).

If the air suspension can be locked to a "normal" setting on demand, this would be a non-issue, but I am unsure about this as well.

Anyone with a tape measure in their car going to see the perf beta?? :wink:

At the Tesla store... I was told that the lowest setting on the air bag setup is 6 inches of clearance and the max air bag height was near 10 inches for clearing snow drifts. Hopefully someone else can verify.

The Model S with adjustable air suspension will be able to raise sufficiently to ingress or egress a steeper than usual driveway. It will already be part of the software offered.

@Jeeps17 The Performance did not appear to be lower than any of the signature models on display when I saw them at Fashion Island last week.

The white S at Fashion Island was much lower than the red signature they had on display. There was wheel gap was very small on the White Performance and rather high on the Red Signature. I mentioned it to the guy giving the interior demo on the performance S and he said they are all the same height, but that the Red S might have the suspension set to the highest level and that the white has it lowered.

Thanks for your responses everyone.

This question, amongst many, should be conclusively answered when the first signatures are delivered in ~1 month.

And as Agileone stated, these details will hopefully be software adjustable.

Please post if you get any concrete information from Tesla.

Jeeps17, did you see the item referenced by augkuo? Those are official answers from Tesla:

Dynamics on how the active air suspense will handle when corning is to be announced, but I can expand upon the height levels. Manual Adjustments are as follows:
  • Normal height = 6”
  • High Level 1 = 0.90” taller; When the vehicle accelerates above 19 mph, the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
  • High level 2 = 1.3” above Standard and can be used for ascending a steep driveway or fording deep snow. Clearance reverts to High Level 1 above 10 mph.
  • Low Level = 0.79” under Standard; Active Air Suspension will automatically lower the vehicle for highway driving to improve aerodynamics. Low Level is also accessible from the touchscreen for loading/unloading of passengers. When the vehicle begins driving the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
  • The suspension will also self-level the car. For example if you load a lot of weight in the trunk the vehicle will remain level.