Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Efficiency and Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we near first customer deliveries of Model S

Woot!

Overall, I think this blog post is a good way to help manage expectations. We might also be hearing official EPA numbers soon and this is just a way to get their story out ahead of time instead of in response to potential backlash.

One quick takeaway from this graph is that the 85kWh Model S is expected to achieve 350-250 miles of range during constant-speed highway driving at 50-70 mph with the conditions listed above.

Noooice, and it looks like you can get about 225 miles of range @ 80MPH. So 200 @ highway speeds seems to be reasonable.

Last edited:
This is cool. Contest time!

You can also see that at slower speeds it could even be possible to exceed 400 miles in a Model S under the conditions above. We haven’t internally demonstrated that yet and we are planning a prize for the first customer that actually drives over 400 miles on a single charge. :)

and it looks like you can get about 225 miles of range @ 80MPH.

I believe it's 200 miles range at 80mph.

graph1.png

Looking at this I really want a 80kWh pack. I could easily make Charlotte on a single charge, and probably stretch anywhere I would want to drive.

At least it looks like getting 100+ miles out of a 40kWh pack should be cake.

This is really good news for me. That means I can drive any legal highway speed and get to the major cities in Texas on one charge or at worst, a one hour stop at a 40A station.
Is great for me as well. I anticipated something like this as a range by looking at the Roadster data.

The trip I take regularly is 220km to Amsterdam, now I can hit "the gas" (~85mph / ~140km/h), charge with 3-phase 11kW (! :) ) and drive back a couple of hours later.

That trip would be doable by not even charging in Range mode and also driving in Standard mode.

Awesome blog. You really get the idea that Tesla is not only out to make a profit, but also to make EVs accepted in public by shedding some light on the matter instead of just putting a number out there.
The 400 miles should be doable, although it's very hard for them to confirm it's not done via going down a mountain and/or trailing a truck or something. But I think that's not the point contest ;)

I'd love to see how the Aerodynamic wheels effect the range, if it's more noticeable at higher speeds (it should) etc. A 5% increase would push the figure just above 325 miles @55 mph (assuming it's currently 310 in the blog), and to 210 @ 80 mph. Testing will show that eventually, tho.

"One quick takeaway from this graph is that the 85kWh Model S is expected to achieve 350-250 miles of range during constant-speed highway driving at 50-70 mph with the conditions listed above. "

Awesome, better than I was expecting!