Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC store and beach charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went by the DC store on Saturday to see the S up close and personal for the first time. WOW!!!!!

Yes it was VIN#22 and there are some fit and finish flaws and it does look have a touch "road hard and put away wet" wear on it, but this is an amazing machine.

The phrase "I thought he'd be bigger" doesn't apply here. This car is much bigger that I thought it was. Lines are beautiful. Interior , while sparse is very comfortable. 17" screen actually blends in quite nicely once you are in the car for more than 5 minutes. Will take some getting used to getting in and out as the height of the door opening appears to be smaller than my MB E320

The Assistant told me that the arm rests would slide forward over the cup holders to make it easier to use. I found them to be just fine the way they are.

I'm one of those that suffers a bit of range anxiety. I travel to the beach quite often (162 miles one way) and don't want to have to stop to charge along the way. The smaller battery is out of the question as an option and I don't want to have to saddle myself with the bigger battery costs.

Seeing the range mode versus regular mode numbers on the TMG site has given me a bit of pause about being able to use the middle battery for the trip over the long haul. Guess I have to get better educated before pulling the trigger.

Are there any charging stations in Ocean City? I see a couple in Salisbury. My place is in a high rise that hasn't become EV friendly yet.

Lion,

thanks for sharing your store impressions!

I'm one of those that suffers a bit of range anxiety. I travel to the beach quite often (162 miles one way) and don't want to have to stop to charge along the way. The smaller battery is out of the question as an option and I don't want to have to saddle myself with the bigger battery costs.

I wouldn't call your concern anxiety since it doesn't stem from something irrational. Doing 162 miles with a 230 mile pack in standard mode (80%=184 ideal miles), perhaps with some highway driving, is a close call. You can tap into the lower 10% SOC for an additional 23 ideal miles by switching into range mode under way, but you don't want to do that on a regular base if the car is new. Getting aero wheels and air suspension increases efficiency of model S, but that's another $3k, compare that to $10k for the larger pack.

Finding a place to charge back to full at the beach is mandatory. Try to get an outdoor NEMA 14-50 installed at your place.

Seeing the range mode versus regular mode numbers on the TMG site has given me a bit of pause about being able to use the middle battery for the trip over the long haul. Guess I have to get better educated before pulling the trigger.

Yeah. Even the 85 kWh pack wouldn't be enough for you to make it there and back without charging. You'd definitely need charging at your beach house. How often do you make this trip, once or twice a month? If so, range mode that often shouldn't be a big problem. You'll definitely need the middle pack and maybe a SuperCharger will be there at some point.

Yeah. Even the 85 kWh pack wouldn't be enough for you to make it there and back without charging. You'd definitely need charging at your beach house. How often do you make this trip, once or twice a month? If so, range mode that often shouldn't be a big problem. You'll definitely need the middle pack and maybe a SuperCharger will be there at some point.

With kids in school it was every week from mid-June to late August for me (better half stays at the beach for most of the summer). Now that last is graduating from high school this year, it may even extend into late September, early October. Concerned the impact running in range mode twice a week for up to 16 weeks will have on life expectancy. Range will most definately be required with middle pack given summer beach driving from DC.

Neither Recargo nor PlugShare show any charge points closer than Salisbury MD, ~25 miles west of Ocean City. Sounds like you're going to take the lead in getting Ocean City--or, at least, your condo association--to install charge points. Pitch it as a tourist draw.

Chicken/egg!

Can't be the leader until I plunk the money down and get in que. Can't get in que until I have some reasonable hope of charging at the beach. What do they say about the horn of a dilema? Run for cover or grab the horn?

Off the topic, but how can one get the PGA of America to educate their members to the benefits of allowing charging while playing a round of golf. Most courses use electric carts and already have some of the facility necessary to provide charging stations. Would be a great benefit to those of us that like to travel to play a round.

Chicken/egg!

Can't be the leader until I plunk the money down and get in que. Can't get in que until I have some reasonable hope of charging at the beach. What do they say about the horn of a dilema? Run for cover or grab the horn?

Off the topic, but how can one get the PGA of America to educate their members to the benefits of allowing charging while playing a round of golf. Most courses use electric carts and already have some of the facility necessary to provide charging stations. Would be a great benefit to those of us that like to travel to play a round.

The deposit is fully refundable, so take the plunge! Then you can become the terror of the Ocean City city government until the bend to your wishes. :smile:

Charging at golf courses is a great idea. This is a big enough task that you might want to refer it to Plug In America. I suggest you consider joining yourself.

With kids in school it was every week from mid-June to late August for me (better half stays at the beach for most of the summer). Now that last is graduating from high school this year, it may even extend into late September, early October. Concerned the impact running in range mode twice a week for up to 16 weeks will have on life expectancy. Range will most definately be required with middle pack given summer beach driving from DC.

Maybe slow lane driving for the middle pack, standard mode, until you get comfortable? Agree with Volker...definitely need a plug down there. NEMA 14-50 should be plenty good with the universal charger. If you are just down for the weekend, even a regular 120 V 15 A outlet may work (Friday night to Sunday night). If there's anyone near your condo with a Volt or Leaf (or considering one), maybe you can share a J1772 level 2 at their place.:confused:

If you are 10k away, see what you can do to close the gap. Delivery on a new one would be next year anyway, so maybe see if a used mid-pack Model S becomes available with a few thousand miles on it to help make up the difference. (This was a big help for getting me into a roadster:cool:). Extra income renting the condo? State EV incentives?

Best of luck.

Chicken/egg!

I agree, great idea about the golf courses. I would go ahead and put down your deposit like Robert said and bug your condo about it. Do you have a garage or carport there? If they hesitate, tell them you'll pay for the NEMA 14-50 outlet and installation if that helps. They may want you to pay for the electricity too so you could estimate how much you'd use each time and tell them you'll pay that as well.
I think you'll be much better off with the 85 kWh pack with 160 miles of driving as that can easily be done in standard mode.

There is another option. If you will be at the beach for a few days 110V charging may be all you need. Even at 5 miles per hour if you are there 30 hours or more you will fully charge. You just need a heavy duty 12 guage cord. I have done it several ties. Tom Saxton has a great article on this in this months Charged magazine.

There is another option. If you will be at the beach for a few days 110V charging may be all you need. Even at 5 miles per hour if you are there 30 hours or more you will fully charge. You just need a heavy duty 12 guage cord. I have done it several ties. Tom Saxton has a great article on this in this months Charged magazine.

That's a good idea.

78Lion: Also, are there any public J1772 chargers you can use near the beach? You could charge for a few hours while getting dinner then top up the rest of the way on the 110V outlet.

I have the same requirement. I went with the 85kW battery and am planning on installing a NEMA 14-50 circuit at my place in Bethany Beach. A bit out of the way for OC, but you're welcome to charge up in a pinch.

Last edited:

I just took a vacation in the mountains of Virginia, unfortunately the cabin's dryer outlet was too far to reach with the charging cable and beefy extension cord so I had to use the 110 . Only got 3 1/2 miles per hour of charge which ended up being enough. Perhaps would be better in warmer weather (was high in 50's , low in 30's).