Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What equipment do people recommend to change tires at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I'm thinking I may decide to get 19" rims at some point. If I ever move to an area that has real winters, I'll definitely do this and put on winter wheels.

I realize I need a jack of some kind to lift the car but does anything have any recommendations of a high-quailty jack to keep in the garage to change one tire at a time? Also, any recommendations of equipment to remove and replace the bolts would be helpful. I believe there are some that measure the amount of torque you need so you don't over tighten. Basic stuff I know but wanted to make sure I order the correct things. Thanks.

I'm thinking I may decide to get 19" rims at some point. If I ever move to an area that has real winters, I'll definitely do this and put on winter wheels.

I realize I need a jack of some kind to lift the car but does anything have any recommendations of a high-quailty jack to keep in the garage to change one tire at a time? Also, any recommendations of equipment to remove and replace the bolts would be helpful. I believe there are some that measure the amount of torque you need so you don't over tighten. Basic stuff I know but wanted to make sure I order the correct things. Thanks.

floor Jack
Torque Wrench 18" handle min. (Dial type is best)
Breaker bar (for removing stubborn lugs)
sockets Deep set

I bought this jack a few months ago and it works well, it solid, stable, easy to use and has a big pad to lift the roadster with. Its also the best price i found on line.
Amazon.com: Pro380049 1.5 Ton Low Profile Aluminum Racing Jack with Retractable Fold-down Handle: Home Improvement

You want a 1/2 inch Torque wrench that is at least 20 inches long, I bought mine at autozone for about $50 this one looks like its good quality as well:
Amazon.com: Professional Grade 1/2 30-150 Foot-Pound Automatic Adjustable Torque Wrench: Home Improvement

If we're lucky, there will be a center jack point at the front and rear and we can swap two tires at a time. I'm probably going to get the 21" wheels and buy the least expensive winter tire set for the three months/year that I need them.

I have a small compressor for inflating tires that sit in the garage for months - I don't want to visit a service station or drive there on under inflated tires.
I also use it to run an air wrench to take off the lug nuts - but that is mostly for entertainment value and not necessary.
An adapter from hex to square drive let's you use a regular cordless drill on the lug nuts.

If Model S is like the Roadster if you use the jack point in front of the rear wheel both wheels on that side of the car will lift up.

Or you could also a Rhino Ramp under the front wheel and a jack on the same side rear to lift one whole side up at a time.

In related news I'm thinking of getting my Roadster wheels powdercoated grey a-la the Final 5 and so need to figure out how to get all 4 wheels off the ground with only a set of ramps, 4 jack stands, and 1 jack.

Thanks. The links to sites like Amazon to buy the items are very helpful. I bought a small, plug in 110V pump to inflate tires. I had a very hard time finding a professional style air pump for tires.

Doesn't the Model S weigh more than 1.5T? I don't see weight on the Model S Specs page.

Doesn't the Model S weigh more than 1.5T? I don't see weight on the Model S Specs page.
Well remember that you're not lifting the entire car, just part of it. I'm not sure I could unbury my high school physics knowledge to actually calculate it but lifting up one side of a car requires a lot less energy than lifting the entire thing.

But I have one of these:
4 ton Floor Jack- Craftsman-Tools-Auto & Mechanics Tools-Lift Equipment & Jacks

Our other car is a lifted Jeep Liberty diesel so I need the reach to get that off the ground too.

For the Roadster I just place a short 2x12 in front of each tire and drive the car up onto them. That gives me enough clearance to get the jack under. Model S should be taller (and I can use the air suspension to raise it) so clearance should not be a problem.

For the sake of clearness we're talking about swapping rims+tires as a whole here, right? Because putting tires on a rim is quite a task.
I used copper paste to have the steel bolts come out more easily after wet+salty winters. I don't know what to use instead if Aluminum is involved.

photo.JPG

Just a big torque wrench and a 1.5 ton low-profile jack. Got these at Canadian Tire.

strider;136453) said:
In related news I'm thinking of getting my Roadster wheels powdercoated grey a-la the Final 5 and so need to figure out how to get all 4 wheels off the ground with only a set of ramps, 4 jack stands, and 1 jack.

Be careful as most of the weight is in the rear wheels. At first we used s pair of jacks and when we took the fronts off the front the front was so light it floated up. So have someone watch and place the rear jacks as far back as you can.

If Model S is like the Roadster if you use the jack point in front of the rear wheel both wheels on that side of the car will lift up.

Or you could also a Rhino Ramp under the front wheel and a jack on the same side rear to lift one whole side up at a time.

Easy enough to do. Jack on one of the rear jack points. Put a jackstand where the jack is. Jack the other jack point. Put one jackstand under the rear sway bar. (all 4 wheels off the ground with only 3 points jacked.)

One jack at the correct rear jack point will lift both wheels off the ground.

My experience is that jacking at a rear jacking point raises both wheels ON THE SAME SIDE of the car. If you are simply changing from Summer to Winter wheels, this should do the job. Change both wheels on one side, then jack up and change the wheels on the other side.

The 1.5 manual says that you need two adapters to raise both rear wheels at the same time. Somewhere on this site there is a picture of a tire shop ruining a Lotus by trying to raise all 4 wheels at the same time (after being warned not to do so).

By the way the racing jack sold by Harbor Freight does the job well. Discount coupons are often available.

Last edited:
Easy enough to do. Jack on one of the rear jack points. Put a jackstand where the jack is. Jack the other jack point. Put one jackstand under the rear sway bar. (all 4 wheels off the ground with only 3 points jacked.)
But that's what I'm struggling with... If I use a jack on the right rear lift point and raise the right side of the car, how can I place a jack stand under the right rear lift point? The jack is in the way.