Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758

Thread: Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by robert774 View Post
    At the Tesla owners event last night at the new North Houston service center, the Tesla employees there were saying there are about 1200 registered Tesla owners residing in Houston.
    That seems unlikely. At the House hearIng in February they said about 2000 in Texas. DMV stats in January said 438 in Harris county as of Jan. 30 this year and 363 in July 2014.
    http://www.dfwcleancities.org/docume...ts07072014.pdf
    60 kWh | Green | Tan Leather | Obeche Matte | Tech Package | Pano Roof | Supercharging | Parcel Shelf

Keep in mind the Houston service center zones a very wide area to get the count (i.e. "Greater Houston" at one point included New Orleans). That said, cars arrive every day and the vast majority of cars are split between Dallas, Houston, and Austin/San Antonio. I could believe a thousand in both 'real' Houston and Dallas with the balance in AUS/SAN. Could also be some difference between where people register it and where they actually keep it (perhaps insurance is more expensive in Harris County so they register the car to the lake house?). Or delay in county reporting data. Tesla Service Centers have the list of actual VINs they are responsible for (along with state mandated folders with paper service records) so I figure they have a pretty accurate count (more accurate than the government anyway) unless they don't immediately remove ones that are wrecked or sold from the count.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenpace View Post
    Keep in mind the Houston service center zones a very wide area to get the count (i.e. "Greater Houston" at one point included New Orleans). That said, cars arrive every day and the vast majority of cars are split between Dallas, Houston, and Austin/San Antonio. I could believe a thousand in both 'real' Houston and Dallas with the balance in AUS/SAN. Could also be some difference between where people register it and where they actually keep it (perhaps insurance is more expensive in Harris County so they register the car to the lake house?). Or delay in county reporting data. Tesla Service Centers have the list of actual VINs they are responsible for (along with state mandated folders with paper service records) so I figure they have a pretty accurate count (more accurate than the government anyway) unless they don't immediately remove ones that are wrecked or sold from the count.
    Or they exaggerate.
    60 kWh | Green | Tan Leather | Obeche Matte | Tech Package | Pano Roof | Supercharging | Parcel Shelf

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenpace View Post
    It may still include New Orleans - while we may have a Ranger/Service Manager solely dedicated to New Orleans our service is still technically performed out of and he technically works out of the Houston Service Center.

Louisiana has some archaic laws on the books that favor the franchise dealer status quo and seemingly prohibit a manufacturer from performing warranty or service work directly.
    2013 Model S P85+ (VIN 13226) Traded in on...
    2014 Model S P85D (VIN 64272) Delivered 12/26/2014

The post gave a figure on 1200 "in Houston". Not the territory of the Houston service center which may extend far beyond the Houston metro area and include the next state. I still maintain it's an exaggeration. Just like when I was told there were 800 Teslas in Austin and San Antonio, almost two years ago!

yes, real fiddler @={= +} SW2Fiddler's Avatar

Houston, TX

And the Chronicle article said the 600 was in the counties around Houston. I hate not being able to pull a direct quote but my free Google-based preview reading session must have had a one-day lifespan. :bummer:

edit: "ten-county Houston region" and this is sourced from "InfoNation, Inc."

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436721984.651444.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  91.1 KB
    Last edited by SW2Fiddler; 2015-07-12 at 10:26 AM.

OK - Chron chart is actually 736 cars. It was the 40% drop from 2013 to 2014 that I was questioning. And that total works out to a bit more than 5 per week, which is lower that what I have heard at Westchase.

The data provided from TxDOT is problematic. The North Central Texas Council of Governments subscribes to their VIN database and they have shown occasional quarter-over-quarter declines in the number of Teslas (and Volts) in the state.
    P85 | Grey | Tan | Pano | Tech Pkg | Air Suspension | Dual Chargers | Rear Facing Seats (Unused) | Carbon Fiber
    21" Grey Turbines | 3rd Party Parking Sensors Powered by 17 kW Solar PV System

Quote Originally Posted by moorelin View Post
    It was the 40% drop from 2013 to 2014 that I was questioning.
    I think the biggest reason for the drop is the initial reservation backlog. There were many of us who waited more than 2 years for the car. If 209 is 'base demand' for Houston, I would expect that number to increase as the new models arrive and visibility continues to increase (new Northside service center, new SuperChargers in Texas, new owners).

Quote Originally Posted by robert774 View Post
    At the Tesla owners event last night at the new North Houston service center, the Tesla employees there were saying there are about 1200 registered Tesla owners residing in Houston.
    Current and past owners.

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758

Thread Information