Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EDF build on Schneider message that 13A sockets have 'safety implications'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Home charging with EDF Energy: Why get a home charging unit? - "And while it is, in principal, possible to plug an electric vehicle into a regular household power supply using a 13-amp three-pin plug, there are safety implications that every new 'EV' owner needs to consider"

If you want the choice to charge on low cost, 13A sockets in future, you might want to comment on this article before charging on a home socket becomes a thing of the past :eek:

I'm absolutely certain that this BS is what caused me hassle charing at work *despite* the fact that a Smart ED was doing the same on site all last year, so it's already started.

Charging Point should be ashamed of themselves for selling out and spreading such FUD. Fair enough, there are going to be some unsafe sockets out there, but use your common sense. If it looks dodgy, it probably is. People plug 3kW electric heaters into these things without thinking twice.

For the record, this was my response:

Here's my charging station:-

Masterplug Nexus 13A 1G Switch Socket Screwfix.com
WYLEX 10A 30mA SP Type C Curve RCBO Screwfix.com

£40.

And if you don't have room on your consumer unit...
Wylex 2-Way Fully Insulated Main Switch Consumer Unit Screwfix.com

Installed one at my mum's this weekend in an hour. Another in my garage coming up this weekend.

Yes, I'm sure there are some dodgy electrics out there, but frankly if they can't support 10A on a socket then they won't support a £800 charging station anyway. Get them upgraded. (Ever hear of a 3 bar electric fire?)

The article is FUD, but there is a point. 13A over a socket is a lot, it does get hot. It's always better to have a dedicated EVSE with dedicated 16A fuse though.

For 16A a blue CEE socket would be much safer.

But yes, those weird Americans (NOFI!) can plug into a 40A socket and that's safe!?

The article is FUD, but there is a point. 13A over a socket is a lot, it does get hot.
Most (all?) mass-market production EV's are limiting current to 10A or less when used with the BS 1363 "UK" socket and if properly installed and maintained it is perfectly safe.

If you had seen the Schneider and EDF presentations at EcoVelocity you would understand that this is simply a crude attempt to prepare the public to spend £1000 on a "safe" Charging Station.

Completely agree its a purely cynical commercial FUD play. This cynicism is put into sharp focus by Schneider's simultaneous promotion in the US of a portable EVSE that plugs into an arguably four times more dangerous socket:
- US: 40A drawn out of 50A rated, 240V, unshuttered socket - OK by Schneider
- UK: 10A drawn out of 13A rated, 240V, shuttered socket - dangerous per Schneider and EDF

If 13A sockets are dangerous why did the UK's plugged-in places (PiP) government funded deployment of charging largely install 13A sockets (admittedly in expensive and over-complicated posts)? Did Schneider and EDF stand aside from this in a principled way?

Caveat: I prefer the use of Commando sockets and portable EVSEs or mennekes sockets or even hard-wired EVSEs. I do view 13A sockets as emergency charging. I do check temperatures and usually dial back to 10A. But I don't think it's any less safe than plugging appliances in.