Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from the Cotswolds, UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Just bought one of the last RHD Roadsters left for sale in the UK.

20120430-001.jpg

Roll on summer ...

Eugene

Nice to hear from another UK owner, congratulations :)

When I ordered mine I was told it would probably be the last RHD one ever, etc etc

It was not a factor to me in buying it as I'd wanted one ever since the first Teslamotors Inc website appeared in 2005/6, but I do wonder how many times that sales line has been trotted out over the past year !!!!

When I ordered mine I was told it would probably be the last RHD one ever, etc etc

Yes, I bet a few will be sold after mine, but their inventory only showed 8 left when I reached deep into my pocket, and when I picked it up Gian said most of them had gone in a flurry inspired by the noise of the Tesla Model S. It's in Obsidian Black, by the way ...

Eugene

Obsidian black is a great colour - but mine is Obsidian Black so I would think that!

I spoke with Gian a few days ago and there were 5 UK RHD cars left. Spoke to him today and there are just 2!

I am so glad I got mine 2 years ago. Don't think I could stand the tension at this stage. Anyway congrats in your car.

Do use the UK HPCs to be adventurous. I live in Edinburgh and have been to London, Birmingham, Goodwood, Salford, Aviemore, Durham - all using the UK HPCs. I am not sure if these are all listed on zero:net.

Do use the UK HPCs to be adventurous. I live in Edinburgh and have been to London, Birmingham, Goodwood, Salford, Aviemore, Durham - all using the UK HPCs. I am not sure if these are all listed on zero:net.

Yes, I can feel a trip to Scotland coming on. An ignorant question, but do the Tesla HPC facilities all come with the charging lead or do you need to take that with you (plus Commando adapter)? Is there a thread I should look at which would fill me in on all the details for long range UK trips?

Eugene

Yes, I can feel a trip to Scotland coming on. An ignorant question, but do the Tesla HPC facilities all come with the charging lead or do you need to take that with you (plus Commando adapter)? Is there a thread I should look at which would fill me in on all the details for long range UK trips?

Eugene

I've done quite a few long journeys of up to 220 miles in one stint, knowing that I'll be charging overnight at the destination using either 13amp or 32amp. But as a backup I usually work out where the nearest 32amp or 70amp sites are … just in case. I've only ever needed a mid-journey top up on half a dozen occaisions. There are numerous websites for this, such as from :-

Home - Zero Carbon World

The 32amp / blue commando outlets can only be used if you've purchased a UMC cable from Tesla or made one up somehow. These charge up at the rate of about 25+ miles an hour.

The 70amp HPC chargers all have a dedicated cable attached, so you pitch up and plug in. They recharge the battery at about 60 miles an hour of charge (depends on your watts / mile usage).

I've often used the HPC located at the Castle Hotel, Taunton, M5. I've rolled up, plugged in and gone and had a meal in their restaurant.

The other HPC I've used a couple of times is at the Nottingham Belfry, just off J28 on the M1. But they tend to lock the box its attached to, although the receptionist will give you a key, and they've got a bar/restaurant right opposite the entrance.

If a charge point mid journey is critical, then I suggest calling beforehand just to make sure its all working....

Also, whilst I haven't yet done this, Ecotricity are gradually rolling out 32amp Mennekes charge points at all Welcome-Break motorway service stations, but you need to get the Mennekes adapter for this, and check the website for which locations have been commisioned - although I've seen some posts on the Leaftalk forum about 2 sites which appear to have had some teething problems.

If you're going to do some really long journeys get familiar with Range-Mode, and how the Estimated and Ideal range indications behave. One thing to bear in mind is to resist doing 95+mph up a motorway ... as the range will drop significantly to something like 120-140miles. If you want to maximise the distance just take it easy on the accelerator and do 60-70 on a motorway, or better still move with the traffic on major A roads where the average speed is more like 50-60mph, and if things are getting critical - go a bit slower !

Many UK owners have written up their first long journey, and the links below should provide a good insight as how they got on :-

A Range Test across the UK ..

A weekend in the English Lake District with a Roadster, UK HPC, Zero:Net, and OVMS

A Very British Road Trip (or 2010 Roadster Sport: A Space Odyssey, if you prefer))

Official HPC Charger Map for CH, DE, IT, AT, UK

Good luck with your first trip, and write it up when you get back !

Last edited:
All the Tesla HPCs come with the cable. From where you are the route to Scotland is probably:

Nottingham Belfry Hotel (70A HPC)
Raddison Blu Durham (70A HPC)

Alternative route:

Moat House Hotel Stafford (unsure of the status of the HPC)
Tebay Westmorland Services Northbound (70A HPC - please check ahead) - also accessible from Southbound by following hotel sign

There is no range anxiety between nodes as long as you don't speed.

In Scotland there are two HPCs

Marriott Dalmahoy near Edinburgh (70A HPC)
Macdonald Aviemore Resort (70A HPC)

I would highly recommend carrying your EVSE with the 32A commando socket with you as well as your 13A cable to give backups just in case. Zercocarbonworld.org Zero:Net lists great locations with 32A, and OpenChargeMaps tries to list everything.

Good locations (recommended by me or others I trust):

Loch Fyne Oyters
Mhor Hydro in Argyll
Whitnuir Organics on the A701 (turn off M6/M74 motorways at Moffett and come up that way to Edinburgh is my preferred route)
Our Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh (by the Scottish Parliament)
Radisson blu in Edinburgh (on the Royal Mile) - need a code to unlock a barrier - ask me by DM

If you get a Mennekes to Tesla cable (ask Kevin Sharpe or I have a source) then a few more charge locations open up:
Ecotricity at some Welcome Breaks - get their card in advance free
Chargeyourcar.org in the NorthEast - most of their CHADEMO locations also offer Mennekes at 32A and allow pay by phone on arrival - or get their card £5 for 2 weeks or £10 per month

Just planning my first longer trip, from the Cotswolds to the Lake District (see attached image).

route.jpg

We're staying in a B&B in the grounds of the delightful Muncaster Castle (http://www.muncaster.co.uk/) and rendezvousing with friends at the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway (http://ravenglass-railway.co.uk/). It's a 240 mile each way trip, but we hope to take advantage of a Tesla HPC at Stafford on the trip up and down, to take the stress out of the journey. The B&B was chosen not only because of its charms, but because it offers 'destination refuelling' courtesy of the UK's Zero Carbon World initiative (http://www.zerocarbonworld.org/).

Wish us luck!

Eugene

PS. Could we please have a UK sub-forum?

Well, back from my first long trip to the Lake District (see previous post). All went well, with a top-up charge at the lovely Moat House Hotel in Stafford on both legs of the journey, with lovely food while the Tesla suckled at its HPC charger.

Here is an image of my Tesla on the top of the fearsome Hardknott Pass in the Lakes, one of the steepest and windiest roads in the UK:

20120918.174329.jpg

It was about 250 miles each way, but over some serious terrain, lots of motorway driving and - alas - some wet weather. Anyway, the Tesla coped admirably and the holiday was a great success :biggrin:. The only slight drama was a power cut at our B&B accommodation on the morning we were leaving, which prevented us topping up.

Eugene

Nice pic of your Roadster against the rugged countryside ! What was the weather like ??

.. we also had a weekend away, went to a wedding and decided to make a weekend of it. However, whilst the Saturday ceremony was bathed in glorious sunshine, we woke up Sunday morning to really heavy rain, and it rained all the way back. And its still raining now 36 hrs later …

When checking out of the hotel the receptionist asked if electric cars "fizzle and short-out" in the rain … :rolleyes: ... we made it back without being electrocuted, or sterilised by magnetic fields, and the Tesla behaved impeccably as always :biggrin:

Photos below show how nice Saturday evening was, and the miserable Sunday morning that followed :-

SaturdayeveningSteveandCharlotteswedding_zps37873e29.jpg

Teslatopdowninrain23rdSept2012_zps6661b743.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pic of your Roadster against the rugged countryside ! What was the weather like ??

Thanks. The weather was cool and incredibly changeable. Overnight there was very heavy rain a couple of the days, but we did get a couple of great walks in up Eskdale and Wastwater. I waited until the rain stopped before attempting the Hardknott Pass and the car made light of the ascent and - in particular - the descent. While ICE cars laboured up and down and stank of ozone from their cooked clutches and brakes, I hardly touched the brakes on the way down, the regenerative braking more than adequate.

It was quite funny seeing my 6'6" accomplice trying to get out afterwards. I should have videoed it and put it on Youtube ... I'd be famous now!

Eugene