Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's bits of this discussion starting in various places, so I figured it's worthwhile starting a thread....

It's May 3rd and I've configured and signed off on SSL#183 (apparently numbers up to at least #221 have already started their process) now received my MVPA with a delivery ETA of September. I don't "need" delivery earlier than that, although I'd accept delivery tomorrow if it were possible, but I do still "hope" that it will come at least in August. Here's why I "think" that Tesla is under-promising on delivery dates:

• Delivering early will get customers excited; delivering late will just get customers ticked off
  • Tesla doesn't want contractual disputes with customers, IF there should be an unforeseen delay
  • They need to start deliveries (to meet promises) before the end of July, so car #1 has to be delivered before 7/31.
  • Assuming a 2 week lead time on deliveries car #1 will probably be finished by mid-July.
  • If car #1 is only finished mid-July then it's hard to see such a steep ramp up to get to 5,000 cars before end-December
  • It would be reasonable to assume that Tesla will be producing more than 100 cars in July and they'd have to be producing 3-400 in August

I'm reckoning that Tesla will deliver a good handful in July (50 would be a nice number for good press coverage), then maybe up to 200 in August. (I'm sure there's plenty of views and guesstimates on that!)

BTW, reservation holders can wait up to 30 days after their pre-quote before signing the MVPA and some may want to do that as they're waiting on a test drive. Once the MVPA is signed it gets forwarded as an order to the factory; so I'm wondering as I signed my MVPA and my order went in, if I just overtook anyone with a lower # but who chooses to wait on a test drive?

Fire away.....

Nigel, did you ask or were you offered any packages that weren't listed on the website? For example, roof rack or some kind of Winter tire package?

No, a roof rack might be of interest to me down the line but I don't have any foreseeable need. As for winter tires, this was yesterday:

photo.JPG

Yeah, since you're signing a contract they are going to give their "no later than" date in case they run into problems.

I was told that even with the 30-day window there was a very low chance that test drives would be available (especially in a perf model) to any sig holders before they had to sign their contract.