Page 3 of 199 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawaii Tesla Owners

Quote Originally Posted by ddruz View Post
    Are there any Hawaii Roadster owners out there? How do you get service for your Roadster? ...
    Hawaii is served by both LA and Menlo sores. Rangers group trips with Roadster owners.

I asked about the sigificantly more Model S's that would be there and was told they would have one of their third tier service locations.

(I imagined a storage unit with tools and parts stored there)

I've been told that there are 7 Roadsters in the state of Hawaii (don't know if they are all on Oahu or some are on the neighbor islands). I have no doubt that there are at least more than 7 reservations for Model S and probably more to come. Whether that is enough critical mass for Tesla to put a service center and/or a store, I don't know.

Delivery to Hawaii is the same as anywhere else, $1,170 I believe. HI state tax and registration fee are separate.

Blog Entries
    I don't know where they all are, but I've heard of 3 Roadsters on Oahu (met two of them), a planned rental on Kauai, and 1 on the Big Island in Kona.

Dublin:
    Did you find out anything about Hawaii servicing? I have production sequence #8983 (May 15). I was told by one of the asst mgrs at the Bellevue store that Tesla arranges to service the Hawaii cars all at once. The Model S is supposed to include the 1st 4 yrs of routine service for free. Based on what they currently charge the roadster owners, he told me that the typical charge about $500 for each scheduled annual maintenance visit. If the car just stopped working, a special trip to Hawaii would be about $1,000. I am curious to know what you were told.
    Did you also have the chance to ask them about personal delivery in Hawaii? Is it the same cost for everyone? It is a big hassle to fly to the mainland, arrange for shipping & insurance and show proof of paying state tax before the shipper allows you to take delivery of the car.
    I too put installed extra PV panels just this month to power my future EV. And I am trying to recruit more buyers, but its a tough sell at this price point.

Quote Originally Posted by solar powered View Post
    I too put installed extra PV panels just this month to power my future EV. And I am trying to recruit more buyers, but its a tough sell at this price point.
    What are gas prices in Hawaii? I assume higher that on main land USA. With that and with leasing option, Model S buyers should be easier to convince.

Did you also have the chance to ask them about personal delivery in Hawaii? Is it the same cost for everyone? It is a big hassle to fly to the mainland, arrange for shipping & insurance and show proof of paying state tax before the shipper allows you to take delivery of the car.
    Answered in post #22: "Delivery to Hawaii is the same as anywhere else, $1,170 I believe. HI state tax and registration fee are separate."

What are gas prices in Hawaii? I assume higher that on main land USA. With that and with leasing option, Model S buyers should be easier to convince.
    Depending on what grade of gas you guy anywhere between $4.20 - $4.60 per gallon. But it goes beyond just gas savings. Many people that can afford the Model S probably have the means to get PV on their house. Not to mention, Hawaii is the ideal place to get PV (plenty of sunlight and some of the highest electricity rates, 34¢/kWh, in the US). Other than the Big Island, you couldn't drive more than 160 miles on a round trip which means the range anxiety is almost non existent.

There are a lot of people in Honolulu that have the means to get a Model S as evidenced by the amount of BMWs, Mercedes, Audis and other cars of that ilk on the road. Tesla could make a lot of killing in the Hawaii market. Additionally, Hawaii is a good showcase with all the tourists visiting. If Tesla puts a store in Ala Moana, or even the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, many of the wealthy vacationers from Asia, Canada and elsewhere are going to see the car. If George B is looking for # of impressions, Honolulu would be a good spot.

As you can see I'm angling to get a store/service center in Hawaii. I think it is obvious, but as far as I know still no plans by Tesla to open either.

I remember Martin Eberhard talking up Hawaii and how great it would be that tourists from all over the world would come and use Electrics there.

Is there a mall that Tesla could set up a store in?

Most definitely. They would maximize foot traffic at Ala Moana or Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center in Waikiki. Both of those malls have Apple stores in them and they are only a couple of miles apart from each other. I think it is pretty amazing that there are 3 Apple stores in urban Honolulu (if you count Kahala Mall as urban). There is probably only 7-8 miles separating the three Apple stores. George B is very familiar with the Honolulu market.

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    I remember Martin Eberhard talking up Hawaii and how great it would be that tourists from all over the world would come and use Electrics there.

Ala Moana Center probably makes the most sense.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

Quote Originally Posted by VolkerP View Post
    In Hawaii right now -- not much higher than Bay Area, $4.30-ish for regular gas.

My rental car runs Ethanol though...Not sure of the price per gallon (haven't needed to refill).

Thread Information