Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Charge Point in Kingston, Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Today was the official unveiling of the first public charge point in Kingston, Ontario, at the Ambassador Conference Resort. Kingston is aiming to be the most sustainable city in Ontario.

Kingston's Mayor Mark Gerretsen brought his Volt, Ricardo (first Leaf owner in Canada) brought his Leaf, and I brought my Roadster (the latter two from Ottawa). Chris Misch from Sun Country Highways was also on hand.

The local Leaf dealer also came, and told us that they're installing chargers tomorrow, and non-Nissan cars were welcome to come charge. One inside and two outside! So there's two places in Kingston to go.

The hotel's manager was saying how the front desk staff claimed a Tesla Roadster had already visited and charged overnight on Saturday. They were surprised because they weren't expecting one until today. I laughed and said it was me - they already got their first sale due to the charger. I was coming home from Toronto on Saturday, and needed some electrons and some sleep, so I checked into the hotel. They were tickled pink!

Ricardo had to charge overnight to get his Leaf back on the road today, so he was offered a hotel room last night. When I arrived I asked if I could steal the plug. I said I didn't absolutely need to recharge to get home, but it would allow me to drive faster. He said he was done so go right ahead.

Several speeches, photos, videos, and local TV interviews later, people were heading off. Ricardo left right away because he has to take it slow and easy to drive the Leaf that far. I decided to stay for a bite to eat, and the hotel gave me a free lunch (who says there's no free lunch, you just have to drive four hours for it)! Then I headed off. I had accumulated enough charge to drive full speed, so off I went.

A funny incident happened an hour and a half later. I was coming up on a truck and decided to pass. Just as I crossed the back of the truck I saw the turn blinker come on. Uh oh. I planted the accelerator. As I swooped past the truck at 120 kph I saw what was happening, there was a Leaf crawling along at 70 kph in front of the truck! I waved in my rear view window before the truck blocked the view. I can't believe I caught up to him - he was being really miserly with the electrons. Ricardo reported seeing a blur that red-shifted as it passed.

Some pics:

IMG_2144.JPG

Charger - located right at the front door.

IMG_2146.JPG

Chris Misch from Sun Country Highways.

IMG_2147.JPG

The Mayor speaks.

IMG_2149.JPG

EVs on display.

Last edited:
Great story Doug!

I love it that there's a charge point now in Kingston, I was planning on making trips with the Model S to Quebec city from Montreal but now I'll be able to go to Toronto as well.. stop in Kingston for lunch and I'll top of the car just enough to make it to Toronto's Sheraton center where they have L2 charging stations in front.

Cheers,
Alex_C
Production #256CAN