Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(PHEV) HyrbidConsortium

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Since Tesla mentioned plans to do "REEVs", they need to keep an eye on the Hybrid Consorium.

Battery makers like A123, eMotor makers like Raser, and transmission makers like NexxtDrive are members.

"Dual Mode Hybrids—PHEVs
A Dual mode hybrid can drive around town in all electric mode, and automatically switch to hybrid mode for longer distances. This allows most drivers to operate most of the time without burning gas. A dual mode hybrid can run in zero mode much of the time on clean renewable electric energy for just about 50 cents per equivalent gallon. The Consortium will coordinate the development of the advanced technology needed for this kind of car and incorporate this technology into cost effective PHEV designs. The Consortium will then work with major automakers to build prototype PHEVs that can achieve 100-200 total mpg petroleum economy by driving its first 20 – 50 miles in all electric zero emission mode."

So, is there a difference between a "REEV" and a "Dual Mode PHEV"?

Last edited:
So, is there a difference between a "REEV" and a "Dual Mode PHEV"?

Given that most motorists seem to spend very little time understanding the engineering in their cars, I'm not sure that the distinctions GM and Tesla are trying to make will matter in the marketplace, which is all that counts. Too, I have my doubts that PHEVs and REEVs will offer substantial efficiency gains versus the other.

Did you see the latest "Wired" talking about the Automotive X Prize? The author asked TM's Andrew Simpson whether the Roaster would qualify under the emissions efficiency requirement of 200 grams-per-mile:

...while the Roadster passes the [AXP's] spreadsheet test if you use the efficiency figures from the car's white paper, nobody has run the numbers based on actual road tests -- until I call Tesla and prompt engineer Andrew Simpson to give it a shot. "I'm plugging in our new numbers right now," he tells me. "And ... we don't qualify."
TM plans to enter Whitestar for prize consideration, but Simpson is "still not convinced it'll pass" because of its much larger size.

Further confusing things is the GM/Chrysler/BMW Alliance Two-Mode Hybrid Transmission which many are calling a "dual mode hybrid" system.

In that case, they typically offer a large V8 engine, and no PHEV capability, so it is very different from the PHEV series hybrid "Dual Mode" (ICE off vs ICE on) others have been developing. I can see why GM doesn't refer to the Volt as a "dual mode hybrid"... They already took the name for something else!

The FDA regulates the terms that food and drug producers use like "select" and "yogurt" to protect consumers from creative terminology.

While our stomachs won't be consuming the products from GM or Tesla, We will be ingesting the exhaust coming from their "extentions".