Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas Stations in Japan Offering Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disaster! We have to fight this nonsense.

Is it really that bad? I expect that there will be many different charging station business models, with installations at many different venues. The market will determine who succeeds and who fails.

I am NOT a fan of EV charging at gas stations. It seems unlikely to succeed, but who knows for sure? Even some gas stations are selling gourmet coffee and have built in fast food like Subway, McDonalds, or Wendy's with a dining area. With free WiFi, I would be glad to pay for a 1 hour fast charge and chill out for a bit. Alternatively, especially in Japan, there may be several restaurants and shops within a short walking distance. So, maybe for some gas stations, EV charging will work.

That said, the best way to "fight" would be to start Zero Carbon World type charities in North America, Japan, and elsewhere, or convince Kevin Sharpe to expand worldwide. I really admire what Kevin, et al, have accomplished. It would be great to have more of this type of charging stations.

GSP

Last edited:
I think this perpetuates the myth that electric cars want to replicate the ownership experience of gas cars. Gas stations are a problem for gas cars that home charging fixes.

For our long distance travel needs we need something completely different, like Kevin's affordable overnight charging in hotels and fast charging at shopping malls or coffee/lunch stops near highways. This is just oil companies looking to secure their future, nothing to do with customer needs and, if we let this happen, once they gain a foot hold, they'll introduce a law banning fast charging away from "The safety of" gas station forecourts, we have to fight this nonsense.

I don't know why I'm sounding like I'm off my meds on this one but, you know, it really ticks me off.

Even though nearly every gas station sells food/coffee/etc., there are very few that I'd be willing to spend even 30 minutes hanging around in while my car charges. I think it will be far easier for restaurant chains to add chargers rather than gas stations to add chargers and restaurants/amenities.

I think this perpetuates the myth that electric cars want to replicate the ownership experience of gas cars. Gas stations are a problem for gas cars that home charging fixes.

For our long distance travel needs we need something completely different, like Kevin's affordable overnight charging in hotels and fast charging at shopping malls or coffee/lunch stops near highways. This is just oil companies looking to secure their future, nothing to do with customer needs and, if we let this happen, once they gain a foot hold, they'll introduce a law banning fast charging away from "The safety of" gas station forecourts, we have to fight this nonsense.

I don't know why I'm sounding like I'm off my meds on this one but, you know, it really ticks me off.
I don't know how it is in the USA, but here in NL 90% of the gas stations are privately owned and use a franchise business model.

I know somebody who owns 3 gas stations (Shell), but he is free to do what he wants (With limitations, ofcourse!) But at a lot of gas stations along highways there are a lot of restaurants or even shops, it's more then a gas station. They also sell fresh baked bread, a lot of people stop there just to get breakfast.. I never get gas along the highway (expensive), but I stop there regularly to get a drink or bite.

So no, I don't see this as bad.

This type of charging suits the needs of those who cannot charge at home. It absolutely has a place in the gammut of charging options.

In fact a while ago a Dutch friend of mine (who put me on to Tesla in the first place) said he couldn't have an EV for the reason that his parking place at home is away from the house. Then when I was sampling the BP charging a couple of months ago, I was able to give him a taste of the LEAF and he agreed that such charging en route to work made EV ownership much more feasible.