Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: General investing ideas, interesting high risk stocks.

I follow the Russian immortality 2045 projects somewhat closely. This technology sort of falls into that general theme. Exciting times!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    I follow the Russian immortality 2045 projects somewhat closely. This technology sort of falls into that general theme. Exciting times!
    I won't say it's impossible, but the project sounds like a scam to me. Just like EEStor: The concept may well be viable, but the company always looked like a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel View Post
    I won't say it's impossible, but the project sounds like a scam to me. Just like EEStor: The concept may well be viable, but the company always looked like a scam.
    You could be right, but what would the goal be? As far as I see it, it's one guy funding projects with his own cash and pooling resources from other researchers, scientists and developers. I suppose they could start asking for funding and run with it all.

Happy Model S Owner
    Investing. I wouldn't say I invest in high-risk stocks (I don't consider Tesla high-risk at this point). Like bonnie, I follow the rule of investing in companies in sectors I understand; for me that doesn't include medical, but it does include anything computer-related. I don't see a business model with more than minimal profits for most in the computer industry, however; I think service contracts, IBM-style, are the cash cow.

At the moment, I'm heavily invested in railways and railway-related manufacturing (another field I've studied exhaustively enough to understand, just 'cause I like trains). I think the secular trends related to energy, the environment, urbanization, and even wealth inequality will continue to drive traffic to the rails even when the economy is generally down, and so I feel I've got something fairly reliable and counter-cyclical in railways. I won't say how I pick which railway-related companies to invest in (you have to make your own analysis of management competence and sub-sectoral trends) -- but I don't think the information about the overall trends favoring the sector is exactly new to anyone here, so I don't feel like I'm revealing anything proprietary.

"This is Not Investment Advice. I am not your investment advisor. You get what you pay for."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    You could be right, but what would the goal be? As far as I see it, it's one guy funding projects with his own cash and pooling resources from other researchers, scientists and developers. I suppose they could start asking for funding and run with it all.
    It could be an honest crackpot. But there are ways to scam without grabbing the cash box and hopping a plane to Argentina. Convince investors to invest in your company. Pay yourself a generous salary. When the money runs out, say "I tried, but it just didn't work."

Or maybe I'm wrong and the guy is onto something. It just sounds awfully far-fetched to me.

Blog Entries
    SolarCity Planning IPO to Follow Chairman Musk’s Tesla

"Chairman Musk".....with the little red car?

smoothoperator
    AONE (10 char)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    SolarCity Planning IPO to Follow Chairman Musk’s Tesla

"Chairman Musk".....with the little red car?
    I didn't realize Elon Musk was chairman of yet another company. If he plans to stay on after the IPO I'd look favorably on it.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel View Post
    I didn't realize Elon Musk was chairman of yet another company.....
    Surprising. Any story on Elon always lists his three companies. Solar City is actually his cousin's operation.

Blog Entries
    Guess I just missed it.

Thread Information