Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does the Parcel Shelf look like?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not the best picture, but this is what I found. I recall seeing a youtube video with the shelf in it as well...

tesla3.jpeg

I'll try to find the video link as well...

Meaning you can't have the seats up when you want to drop the shelf down I assume? Most of the Beta's I have seen and played in didn't have either options in them.
The rear seats don't fold down, I believe; they are removable, but not foldable. (Or am I just wrong about this?) And the parcel shelf, when installed, appears to necessarily fold across when it's installed, though it too is (I believe) removable. So, the two can't be installed at the same time, though you could certainly own both and install whichever one you need that day.

The rear seats don't fold down, I believe; they are removable, but not foldable. (Or am I just wrong about this?)

The Model S in Oslo had the jump seats folded down under the trunk floor completely hidden and out of the way, I found them when looking to see what was under the trunk floor and just folded them up into place. The space they fold into turns into a foot well for the jump seat passengers.

Not great pictures but I have a couple of pictures of the parcel shelf in my SkyDrive account, taken at the Santana Row event.

Hope this works....

1 2

That looks like the same "shelf" as was in VIN 48 when I saw it this month in Bellevue. It was simple foam in three sections, in a flimsy fabric wrap.
The store manager told me that's just a mock-up, and will not be the actual parcel shelf.

the red S on display at the bellevue showroom has the parcel shelf. What I remember from that visit:

It is more of a hiding layer than permanent shelf. Compared to the standard pull-cover that can wind in to a holder (like my prius, subaru has), its a fold up (2 or 3 segment).

its a lot more sturdy (I didn't feel it myself, demo was from salesperson), looked like it might be covered wood or something. It being thicker I guess means you could put stuff on it, where the thin plasticy ones in my other cars couldn't handle more than a kleenex box. also by being flat you don't get the rolled up bends that my other cars have which rarely have it pulled out.
but on the down side, the light colored fabric they had on it, it looked like it would get dirty easily -- already looked a little handled after 1 week in the store, and looked harder to clean than the rest of the interior. No idea how final the material for the shelf was, maybe they're still working on it.

the rear area has tiny ledge lips for the shelf to lay on. Those are supposed to be on all cars, regardless of if you order the shelf/child seats.
also, the other design issue was taking it in/out was not super smooth because of the shape of the rear hatch, you have to angle it a bit not just slide parallel to the ground -- unless that is by accidental design that it won't fall out of the back just by pulling on it or being on a steep slope with the rear open.

You don't want to put parcels on top of that. The first time you hit the brake hard whatever is on top will fly into the back seat area.

I'm pretty sure it's a "security cover" not a "shelf". Unless that's a prototype and they're doing something radically different.

For Cars I've had in the past (non-hatchback) with a shelf-like area in the rear window, I would usually put a distinguishing object I could see from a distance (plush toy, etc) -- helps you (or someone you're meeting) find your car more easily and not one of its clones. That's likely not going to be a big problem for awhile, there will be a few S' at work or around town of people I know, as long as they're not all brown! :smile:

The rear seats don't fold down, I believe; they are removable, but not foldable. (Or am I just wrong about this?) And the parcel shelf, when installed, appears to necessarily fold across when it's installed, though it too is (I believe) removable. So, the two can't be installed at the same time, though you could certainly own both and install whichever one you need that day.

The rear seats can fold into the recessed area and be covered up. Also, I was told by multiple advisors that the seats can be installed at ANY TIME after purchase, so you are not locked into getting them right away, and this also means that they can be removed at any time after you no longer need them. I think this is great news!

The white performance (Beta #53) had a parcel shelf in the back which was ill fitting but demonstrated how the concept works. Advisors indicated that it is a work in progress. but the shelf rails appeared to be pretty well designed. It had three segments which allows it to fold and be placed elsewhere if you needed to carry bulkier objects. It was covered in a headliner type fabric, not alcantara though. Construction was firm, but I wouldn't place anything of weight on it. Keep in mind that it was a prototype and was larger than the rails it was designed to attach to.

At my visit the the Florida store on Saturday, I took these pictures of the seat up and down. The process of moving it is a three step process, first you fold the front of the seat, then you fold the head rests, then you fold the back. It was a little tricky the first time, but a piece of cake after that. Maria (the very helpful Tesla Rep who was showing the car to me) said that I would be able to add the seats latter on if I dont buy them right away, but that they would have to be installed at a Tesla Service Center. You can see the rails that the parcel shelf will attach to on the sides in the seat down picture, but the shelf was not present on this Model S.
seatsdown.jpg
seatsup.jpg