Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of your Garage and Tesla(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We hired a painter to freshen up our garage. Once he saw the Roadster and had a chance to drive it, he was inspired to create a very cool space to house our Roadster and future Tesla's. Tesla Motors helped out with the paint color for the doors and the final product was unveiled last night. He did an exceptional job and the Rangers will feel right a home during their next visit.

photo-1.JPG

Reactions: UltradoomY
What's the flooring made of? Epoxy?

I'm planning to use racedeck tiles for my garage. See Garage Flooring | Garage Tiles | Garage Floors | Garage Floor Mats | RaceDeck -- will look pretty nice, especially a design with checkered patterns.

The epoxy is from Sherwin Williams. The project started out simply enough; epoxy the floors. It took on a life of it's own once the crew started to implement their ideas. I was lucky to find an experienced and creative group of painters.

The epoxy is from Sherwin Williams. The project started out simply enough; epoxy the floors. It took on a life of it's own once the crew started to implement their ideas. I was lucky to find an experienced and creative group of painters.

:confused: Where do you find your painters? Most of the guys around here seem to have been sniffing their product too much...

:confused: Where do you find your painters? Most of the guys around here seem to have been sniffing their product too much...

Ha! The GC who built my house recommended a guy he uses for interior/exterior work. He's my age; 36, and very talented. I lent him the Tesla for an afternoon and he became my new best friend. He brought in a 4-man paint crew and they treated our home like it was their own.

Last edited:
You can do this yourself.... It is not rocket science!!

Steps:

1. TSP Cleaner to remove all oil
2. Acid Wash with Muriatic Acid diluted 50% with good ventilation
3. Amonia Wash to remove remaining acid. Let dry 1 week
4. Roll base color
5. Apply colored paint chips while base color is still wet
6. Apply clear top coat.

I did this to my last house while it was for sale. Once completed the house sold within a week. It looks really great when finished!!

You can do this yourself.... It is not rocket science!!

Steps:

1. TSP Cleaner to remove all oil
2. Acid Wash with Muriatic Acid diluted 50% with good ventilation
3. Amonia Wash to remove remaining acid. Let dry 1 week
4. Roll base color
5. Apply colored paint chips while base color is still wet
6. Apply clear top coat.

I did this to my last house while it was for sale. Once completed the house sold within a week. It looks really great when finished!!

We've done this across several houses we've lived in and it does look great, but doesn't last terribly long. Tires peel up the paint over a relatively short period of time (<1 year). This seems to happen every time, no matter how strictly we do the prep and no matter how high quality a product we use (and we always use 2 part epoxies).

I have not had that problem whatsoever! Six garage bays now 5 years old, and two airplane hangars at ~12,000 square feet, and other than burn marks from welding, none has peeled, even with washing with a 3500 lb pressure washer at point blank range. The hangars are now 13 years old, and the coating is still perfectly intact. I used a product called Hardeck for the hangars, and a commercial epoxy as you described for my garage. I'll attach photos if anyone is interested.

It may be that your original concete for your garage did not have a proper moisture barrier placed before pouring. This creates continuous moisture leaching through and prevents proper bonding of the epoxy.

We've done this across several houses we've lived in and it does look great, but doesn't last terribly long. Tires peel up the paint over a relatively short period of time (<1 year). This seems to happen every time, no matter how strictly we do the prep and no matter how high quality a product we use (and we always use 2 part epoxies).

I'll have to look into the Hardeck, but I suspect you may be right about my original concrete. The strange thing is that the paint doesn't peel up in flakes, it looks more like it gradually wore down over time, as if I had taken some sandpaper across it every day.

I have not had that problem whatsoever! Six garage bays now 5 years old, and two airplane hangars at ~12,000 square feet, and other than burn marks from welding, none has peeled, even with washing with a 3500 lb pressure washer at point blank range. The hangars are now 13 years old, and the coating is still perfectly intact. I used a product called Hardeck for the hangars, and a commercial epoxy as you described for my garage. I'll attach photos if anyone is interested.

It may be that your original concete for your garage did not have a proper moisture barrier placed before pouring. This creates continuous moisture leaching through and prevents proper bonding of the epoxy.

mulder1231 mentioned RaceDeck. I went with RaceDeck when we moved into our house about 3 years ago. Cost for this garage, where my S will reside, plus a single car garage was about $2K for the tiles, which took my (70 year old) dad and I about 8 hours to install. I liked the ability to have carpeted walkways in the garage. You know, for those cold San Diego winters :wink:
RaceDeck.jpg
2011-12-10 14.12.33.jpg