Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV's at Kennedy Space Center but no charge stations for the public!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Kennedy has been investing in EV's since 2009, and I read a few weeks ago in one of the local papers (can't find that link now) that almost all their ground fleet is electric now. Here's what they released in 2009:

Electric cars are still odd enough to get noticed, but Bruce Chesson hopes that attitude changes as more make their way onto Kennedy Space Center’s roads.

Chesson, who is Kennedy’s coordinator for alternative-fuel vehicles, says he plans to have Kennedy’s entire fleet of 1,686 vehicles running on substances other than gasoline by 2025, hopefully by 2020. That means some electric-powered vehicles, others with hydrogen fuel cells and others that run on 85 percent ethanol. KSC currently operates 104 vehicles on compressed natural gas and manufactures are starting to produce CNG vehicles again.

The attraction to alternative fuels comes from their economy and environmental considerations compared to conventional gasoline. From a cost standpoint, an electric vehicle can go 100 miles for $1.97. Electric cars also don’t emit pollutants, and in the case of Kennedy, the solar arrays under construction can eventually provide electricity to the cars cleanly. A fuel cell’s exhaust is only water vapor.

Since buying the first electric car for the center in 2005, there are now 33 electric vehicles operating at Kennedy.

I was thinking about driving over for the SpaceX launch so I wrote Nasa a mail asking about charging facilities....here's their reply:

Dear NigelM,

Thank you for your interest in the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex,

Unfortunately, we do not have charging for electric cars. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

:rolleyes:

I think I would write back and include that exact article with the pertainent sections highlighted and ask if it would be possible to use one of the chargers for the 33 EVs they have on site and consider adding an area for public charging to show their general support for alternative fuel vehicles.

I was thinking about driving over for the SpaceX launch so I wrote Nasa a mail asking about charging facilities....here's their reply:

Hi Nigel,

That's very disappointing.

Mary Ellen and I have booked a hotel at Cocoa Beach the day before the launch so we can watch the launch in the morning on May 7th.

If you plan to take your ICE vehicle anyway maybe we can arrange to meet.

Larry

I'll second EVan on this.

The point they are trying to make is we should go electric and they are showing the way (with all the reasons they cite) Having the public coming in and seeing the KSC using EVs is a great step. Having that same public seeing other members of the public using EVs is arguably even more powerful.

By the way. You have a name. Bruce Chesson Try to find him and have the conversation.