Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3-phase to 1-phase converter for Roadster HPC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

widodh

Model S 100D and Y LR
Jan 23, 2011
Venlo, NL
I got this e-mail last week from a Belgian company ( Naeyaert Solar bvba ) that has developed a 3-phase to 1-phase converter.

image008.jpg

image010.jpg

image009.jpg

With this you should be able to install a HPC with 90A's in Europe for a Roadster.

The Model S will do 3-phase natively which is much better in terms of efficiency, but if this could work for the Roadsters out there, that's great!

That's interesting. There are posts around here somewhere, from back before European Roadster deliveries started, about needing such a device since they'd be stuck with just 16A single phase. Any mention of cost? Is it using a matrix converter or something similar?

I think the only EV that would have a use for this is the Roadster. The other plug-ins that are limited by single phase can't do much better than 16A. So the market is fairly limited.

Where was this picture taken?

attachment.php?attachmentid=5657&d=1335280316.jpg

There were rumors that the Swiss Tesla store had to install a 3-to-single phase converter at high expense.

That's interesting. There are posts around here somewhere, from back before European Roadster deliveries started, about needing such a device since they'd be stuck with just 16A single phase. Any mention of cost? Is it using a matrix converter or something similar?

I think the only EV that would have a use for this is the Roadster. The other plug-ins that are limited by single phase can't do much better than 16A. So the market is fairly limited.

Where was this picture taken?

There were rumors that the Swiss Tesla store had to install a 3-to-single phase converter at high expense.
This picture was taken in Belgium at the office of NSolar. The license plate is also Belgian.

There was a British manufacturer making such a product that I contacted over a year ago when we first got involved with the Moat House, however they'd just discontinued it through lack of interest!
I don't know how much such a converter will be and what the losses are, since they seem significant to me.

I need 3x63A to get 1x90A.. 90A at 230V is 20.7kW, while 3x63A is 43kW.

I don't know how much such a converter will be and what the losses are, since they seem significant to me.

I need 3x63A to get 1x90A.. 90A at 230V is 20.7kW, while 3x63A is 43kW.

No way should the losses be that much.
I noticed that and figured they were just listing a standard outlet supply rating. That little box would be quite the heater if it were sinking 22 kW.

The input for the HPC will be 90A, but the car will charge max at 70A, so why not skip the whole converter and charge at 63A instead?

I know that it will generate a load on one phase only, and that's not very nice to the grid, but other then that, i don't see why it should not work.

Guys. I realize we're not all engineers here, but we've been over this so many times, it's not even funny.

The input for the HPC will be 90A, but the car will charge max at 70A, so why not skip the whole converter and charge at 63A instead?

I know that it will generate a load on one phase only, and that's not very nice to the grid, but other then that, i don't see why it should not work.
Because in many places, pulling more than 16A single phase is verboten for the very reason you mention.

I don't believe the HPC as manufactured has a current limit at 63 amps. If requested it would try to draw 70 and trip the 63.
The PWM signal from the HPC sets the current limit. If only 63A is available, then who ever set up the HPC would set it to provide a control signal that advertises 63A or less.