Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you still buy a Model S if it doesn't get a 5 Star Rating? (Poll)

Will you still buy a Model S if it doesn't get a 5 Star rating?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely. It's always been just a bragging point IMO. I don't know the safety rating of any of my current cars, nor do I go around telling others (or being told) what the safety rating is. Obviously it will vary with the needs of others, but I haven't really read much on these boards about folks putting that factor at the top of their lists, but perhaps it is.

Now, if what you really want to know is if it would affect stock price, then well, I dunno. I imagine it might cause a small ding just like ANY bad news from Tesla right now would, but I highly doubt it would have any lasting impact.

My 2¢

I think the poll is badly worded. What I think is meant is "If the Model S doesn't get a five star rating in every category...?". Most cars don't, and the 2012 tests are harder to pass then the previous years' tests. There would be a concern if it didn't get a five star rating in any category or in only one or two.

I agree. My mistake. How can I delete this poll and set up another one with the question worded correctly? The reason I see this as relevant is that Tesla is marketing the car as being built to achieve a 5 star rating in everything. I am curious to know how, assuming they can't do this, it would sales.

The crash test ratings are all about what happens when you have a crash. The safest cars are the ones that don't get into crashes! Acceleration, handling, braking etc, are in my opinion much more important, and the Model S seems to have all the right stuff, crash-avoidance wise.

The crash test ratings are all about what happens when you have a crash. The safest cars are the ones that don't get into crashes! Acceleration, handling, braking etc, are in my opinion much more important, and the Model S seems to have all the right stuff, crash-avoidance wise.

I'm not sure acceleration counts--other than negatively. I would have liked to see a radar pre-collision system, but I reckon the Model S is exciting enough that you won't fall asleep at the wheel.

In my opinion if the Model S fails to get a perfect 5-star rating in all categories, it will be because it missed a meaningless test condition. For example, I believe Elon mentioned that they had missed a 5-star rating in an early test with an unbelted female test dummy of a certain height. All passengers in my Model S will be belted.

Larry

Last edited:
Crash tests are merely indicative of relative performance in a real-world crash. Missing one of the criteria and getting 4 stars in one category isn't going to have a real effect on the safety of the vehicle.

Plus it will still be safer than the majority of cars on the road today.

Almost silly to vote No here.

The results would have to be pretty bad for me to back out of the purchase. I drive my Sparrow alot and there aren't many other vehicles on the road that could be more dangerous in a crash than a Sparrow, other than maybe a motorcycle. The 5 stars for me is just a big bonus.

There's no way I would be backing out of this car.... Even if it got a 1 star safety rating
Safety in a crash is a low priority for me. In all honesty I don't drive like a maniac and am sure to give way to people who do, am familiar with the same commuters who drive the same roads every day, the only risk is getting T-boned from someone on my way home

Emphasizing a good crash test rating is more to assure those who have doubts about a start-up, that Tesla is doing a good job at building a proper car. I think most of us are convinced of this in any case (at least in general).

I agree, even with crash results a large percentage of the holders have seen a dismantled model s and can appreciate the build quality, using aluminum, placement of parts, screen, etc, etc