Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taxes & Fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(mod note: posts moved from It's Time to Build Your Model S)

If you're registering in Oregon, I think it will be considerably less. From my understanding, you pay a flat fee, unlike here in California where it's based on the value of the car.

Correct. Oregon has no sales tax. Title fee : $77. Registration fee : $172 (good for 4 years). plates : $24 (basic oregon tree plates). plus $20-100 for special plates (opt).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the explanation of the titling etc. I hadn't realized it was just a California number. I am glad we will pay less in Oregon. We do well on sales tax but we do have a 9% income tax. There is still no free lunch.

Hey, we pay over 9% income tax and around 8% sales tax, so we take it both ways here in California. And our state is somehow broke. On the flip side, my step-brother lives in Vancouver, Washington. No income tax in Washington, and he's right next door to Portland, so he can avoid sales tax on a lot of his purchases.

Hey, we pay over 9% income tax and around 8% sales tax, so we take it both ways here in California. And our state is somehow broke. On the flip side, my step-brother lives in Vancouver, Washington. No income tax in Washington, and he's right next door to Portland, so he can avoid sales tax on a lot of his purchases.

LMAO No sales tax and No income tax, Welcome to NH! CA you have it all wrong, just saying.

No income tax in Washington, and he's right next door to Portland, so he can avoid sales tax on a lot of his purchases.
The gas he uses to drive to Portland is going to negate most any sales tax savings unless he's buying really big ticket items or literally lives on the other side of the I5 or I205 bridge.

I'm always amused by state tax burden complaints. Every state needs roughly X dollars per person to make things go (roads, schools, police, etc). Some states are higher or lower than the average of X, but they aren't going to dramatically differ and they're going to get it from you one way or the other. Sales tax, income tax, registration fees, gas tax surcharge, etc.

Last edited:
Loaded word. I'll leave it at that for now.

We'll there's tax avoidance which makes sense and there's tax evasion which is illegal. Is "tax evasion" a better description than "cheating"? I don't know, I'll change my post and apologize if anyone's offended but I didn't direct it at anyone specifically.

I agree (though I'm guilty at times), but I think it might be time to split this discussion into another thread re: taxes and fees.

Where's Bonnie when we need her?

I'm pretty sure it's before the tax credit, so you're going to have to pay that extra $650.

Yep, unless Obama get his way: Obama 2012 Budget Proposes Higher Tax Credit For Plug-In Cars - The Washington Post

Many advocates, including Obama, have suggested the credit should be turned into a purchase rebate that buyers receive days or weeks after their purchase. The current credit can take as long as 15 months to reduce the buyer's tax bill.

The way I read it, if they changed it from a credit to a rebate, the sales tax would be reduced. (Unless you're lucky to enough to live in one of those states that removed the sales tax for EVs... forget which ones they are.)

LMAO No sales tax and No income tax, Welcome to NH! CA you have it all wrong, just saying.
Only because your state doesn't pay it's bills. Ask anyone at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center about that. And if you own a small business you learn pretty quick that tax rates are pretty high in NH (8.5%). And don't overlook the retirees who often pay more in NH Interest and Dividends tax than they would income tax living in another state. Just sayin'.