Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality San Diego Electrician

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted in the Charging forum about looking for a charger with a long cord which might work for my wife's Volt and my future Model S. The slowness of the 20A Voltec charger wasn't too much of a concern for me, as I won't be putting many miles on my Tesla.

We contacted the local electrical contractor that Chevrolet referred us to, which was part of a program that gives a $1200 towards installation of a charging station. This company came out and knowing that we were getting a credit for the installation, tried to tell us that our 6 year old house's electrical panel was not up to snuff for the small 20A charger, and that we needed to spend thousands of dollars to upgrade the panel and electrical service.

Knowing this was BS, and based on the reviews here, I found a local contractor that had glowing reviews on Yelp, to get a second opinion. This electrician quickly determined that our panel was just fine, and in fact it could support the 50 amp circuit for my Model S. He quoted us a very reasonable amount, $350, to install the Voltec charging station which we purchased ourselves, and said it wouldn't be much more to run wiring/conduit for a NEMA 14-50 outlet on the exterior wall of this garage, which would reach the second garage where the Tesla will be parked.

We gave the electrician the go ahead to do the work, and this morning he arrived EARLY, ahead of when he said he would be here, something we have never experienced with a contractor! He completed the job quickly, on the first visit, and their work looks to have been done with an attention to detail: clean mounting of the hardware, conduit that blends in with the surroundings, and they even cleaned up after themselves!

We can't recommend this electrician enough, perhaps he can assist other San Diego based Tesla owners with their wiring needs (I see 6 on the reservation map). Their info:

Calray Electric - Rob
(760) 815-2176
Calray Electric