Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug splats: better or worse than other cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you think about the aerodynamics of the Model S with regards to bugs? Now that spring is back and I see the bug smears on my car grill and windshield, I wonder, does the new car aerodynamics cause more or fewer bugs to hit than other similar cars? My wife's Highlander hits more rocks and bugs than any other vehicle I have ever seen.

To my surprise, the Roadster survived almost spotless both the May and September Lovebug seasons last year. If the Model S has aerodynamics anywhere near the the Roadster then it will be great.

P.S. This is what a truck looks like:
ar118022326231363.jpg

I wouldn't say my car stays entirely bug-free, but I'm sure we get orders of magnitude more bugs here.

And no, with the top down you don't get bugs in your face. Heck, the Mythbusters showed that if you drive fast enough in a convertible you don't even get wet if it's raining...

the Prius has a very low Cd, but those areas that are less 'slippery' still tend to get nailed to some degree. The flat of the front bumper and the windsheild still get some pretty good hits. That said, on similar drives it certainly fares better than my wife's Highlander Hybrid.

To my surprise, the Roadster survived almost spotless both the May and September Lovebug seasons last year. If the Model S has aerodynamics anywhere near the the Roadster then it will be great.

P.S. This is what a truck looks like:
View attachment 5555

Showing a truck from Florida is cheating. I used to kill lovebugs with a golf club when I was a kid. The shaft of the golf club would look the same as that truck after a couple of minutes of swiping.