Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solar Power and Battery Backup: Tesla and SolarCity's Dream Home

Quote Originally Posted by frequencydip View Post
    At $10 a month for something you use every few years when you have a power-outage your better off buying a portable generator then at least you can take the generator with you and charge your tesla anywhere..
    It's not for a power outage. If you read the post by the commenter, it is used for times when the solar panel doesn't provide power (which is every day during the night). You can run your house "off-grid" for most of the year (except during times when you need to use lots of air con or electrical heat) and pay no money for electricity. That's why $10/month sounds like a really good deal.
    Because there are tons of crazy people in this world...

Jesse W. Pichel – Jefferies & Co., Inc.
    There is a lot of chatter in the media about the Tesla battery pack, showing up in solar projects and do you think that solar could be a driver of your significant driver of your battery cells in the future?
    Unidentified Company Representative
    I don’t think we want to show a little of our cards right now, but I think there is some interesting potential in that direction may be in partnership with the certain solar company.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/5761...ipt?part=qanda

Is it a backup or a car charging system. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...ght=solar+city

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    Jesse W. Pichel – Jefferies & Co., Inc.
    There is a lot of chatter in the media about the Tesla battery pack, showing up in solar projects and do you think that solar could be a driver of your significant driver of your battery cells in the future?
    Unidentified Company Representative
    I don’t think we want to show a little of our cards right now, but I think there is some interesting potential in that direction may be in partnership with the certain solar company.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/5761...ipt?part=qanda

Is it a backup or a car charging system. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...ght=solar+city

He definitely sai d "all of our cards right now". Those seekingalpha transcriptions are always a mess.

Solar City's page on the backup battery: http://www.solarcity.com/residential...y-storage.aspx

Name:  diagram-energy-storage.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  29.7 KB
    Called about it.
    Priced at $20,000.

Used to be $40,000
    Used to have the $10 a month lease. Those sold out in two days.
    CEO has it installed

They really tried to dissuade purchase giving the reason that it won't save you money.

So what is the current lease plan?

I just called SolarCity because I really wanted to install solar AND the energy storage unit. I'm not interested in leasing, but purchasing. I don't know if telling SolarCity this upfront had any influence on the answer. They told me that the energy storage unit was still in testing and NOT available right now. They couldn't answer by when they expect it to be available. - And when it is, I would much rather have Tesla sell it, so that consumers could buy it and get it installed by their preferred solar company, and would not be required to get their solar system from SolarCity. I am very annoyed that during my conversation they diverted to talking about leasing THREE times. (That wasn't about leasing the energy storage unit, but their solar panels. No doubt they are going to push the lease option when the energy storage IS available, too.) It was such a turn-off, they are the LAST company I would consider installing my solar system.

Quote Originally Posted by frequencydip View Post
    At $10 a month for something you use every few years when you have a power-outage your better off buying a portable generator then at least you can take the generator with you and charge your tesla anywhere..
    During Sandy the generator was no use. We had to drive 85 miles to get gas as there was nothing in our area. It's noisy as hell and you have to have it rigged up to you distribution panel.
    I would pay $10/mnth for solar backup system anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Africaholic View Post
    I just called SolarCity because I really wanted to install solar AND the energy storage unit. I'm not interested in leasing, but purchasing. I don't know if telling SolarCity this upfront had any influence on the answer. They told me that the energy storage unit was still in testing and NOT available right now. They couldn't answer by when they expect it to be available. - And when it is, I would much rather have Tesla sell it, so that consumers could buy it and get it installed by their preferred solar company, and would not be required to get their solar system from SolarCity. I am very annoyed that during my conversation they diverted to talking about leasing THREE times. (That wasn't about leasing the energy storage unit, but their solar panels. No doubt they are going to push the lease option when the energy storage IS available, too.) It was such a turn-off, they are the LAST company I would consider installing my solar system.
    I'm confused as to why you called a company who's sole set up is about leasing solar panels.....

Quote Originally Posted by Africaholic View Post
    I just called SolarCity because I really wanted to install solar AND the energy storage unit. I'm not interested in leasing, but purchasing. I don't know if telling SolarCity this upfront had any influence on the answer. They told me that the energy storage unit was still in testing and NOT available right now. They couldn't answer by when they expect it to be available...
    I spoke to SC yesterday about a PV system for my house. They are coming out soon for an initial site audit. I asked about the Tesla-designed battery system they advertise at Home Energy Storage & Battery Backup System - SolarCity

The person I spoke to assured me that it would be available next year for purchase and install into an existing PV system, and that the price would be less than $5K.
    S 85 Silver & Grey w/Tech, Coils, Hi-Fi Sound, Parking Sensors, Fog Lamps, Lacewood, HPWC, took delivery 12/21/13, currently approaching 16K miles

Thread Information