Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Political compass test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
(split from GM Chevy Volt thread. Link to the online test is in the quote below)

I guess that I am the exception to that. (or my political compass rests dead center)
Worth noting that the results from that test on one EV forum, can't remember if it was this one or not, put most respondents in the liberal and/or libertarian quadrants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear, since I got

Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Which is between Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama ;)

I knew it, another tree hugging Liberal :biggrin:

That's just a little further out than my scores. Not what I was expecting of myself.

Further 'negative' (that seems odd) than that. -6.5, -5.95 for me! I am still the most liberal person I know. :biggrin:

That's just a little further out than my scores. Not what I was expecting of myself.

The far far far zealots have moved many leaders and the press to move farther than the normal people who think logically and rationally. Studies show that most people want the same thing they just think there is different ways of achieving it. Most are reasonable and will discuss and compromise. Bob Lutz's recent problems with his own heros really highlight how ridiculous some of it has gotten.

The far far far zealots have moved many leaders and the press to move farther than the normal people who think logically and rationally. Studies show that most people want the same thing they just think there is different ways of achieving it. Most are reasonable and will discuss and compromise. Bob Lutz's recent problems with his own heros really highlight how ridiculous some of it has gotten.

Amen! Most people agree on the goals, and can easily compromise on how to attain them. The problem is, there's no money to be made from compromise, but tons of money to be made from manufacturing conflict. This is the essence of Fox News' appeal and popularity (as well as many in talk radio) and creates for many a false sense that they vehemently disagree with others about things they actually probably don't disagree that much with.

Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13
Two observations:
(1) On an individual level, these scores are in line for someone from N-O-R-W-A-Y!
(tongue & cheek; please take no offense or maybe wear it as a badge of honor)

(2) With all these highly negative numbers, my near Center/Left seems to skew me more towards that vast Right wing conspiracy.
Maybe these scores need be graded on a curve?

Worth noting that the results from that test on one EV forum, can't remember if it was this one or not, put most respondents in the liberal and/or libertarian quadrants.
I was very near the lower left corner. That surprised me. I'd have thought I was near the left, but a little above the centerline. I am definitely a leftist, believing that human rights are more important than an unfettered free market, and I take a generally negative attitude toward business, but on the vertical axis, I oppose government interference in private behavior that does not harm others, and strongly support regulation of business.

They say they consider the Left-Right line inadequate, but I'd add that even the two-dimensional surface is inadequate, since I support individual rights, but also believe in individual responsibility, such as paying taxes, and I oppose too much freedom for businesses to use their wealth to mislead or to shape laws for their financial benefit.

In classifying me as highly libertarian, the graph puts me with people who think they shouldn't have to pay taxes. I hate paying taxes, but I strongly believe it is necessary.

I guess this is one more meaningless on-line test. :cool:

Almost all of these tests are libertarian propoganda. The conflation between what the tests define libertarian and the behavior of self-defined libertarians is a major problem. One might think you are a libertarian and then wonder why libertarians vote with republicans almost universally.

Almost all of these tests are libertarian propoganda. The conflation between what the tests define libertarian and the behavior of self-defined libertarians is a major problem. One might think you are a libertarian and then wonder why libertarians vote with republicans almost universally.
I agree with the basic concept of libertarianism, as I under stand it. Less government, more personal freedom, and responsibility, but I have no faith in the ability of the general public to act rationally when left to their own devices. Too many of us have become little more than petulant children, short sighted and self indulgent.

Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

I credit the oil companies for beating the unrestrained capitalism out of me, unrealized externalities and tragedy of commons and all. And I don't like the libertarian label anymore, since too many libertarians don't believe in supporting a quality education (but of course, I don't believe quality education means simply throwing money at the unions - evidence-based education, folks!). And no, I don't believe privatizing education will work as there are just too darned many areas of the US that are perfectly happy to wallow in their 'intelligent design' mud pit, and private companies would only be too happy to cater to that.

In the end, life is just about never a zero sum game.

The questions are not neutral. I got two pages in and realized that my answers were pretty much directed. It's really difficult to write a non-biased survey, but I feel like the author of this one didn't try very hard.

Survey:
  • It's a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product.
  • Land shouldn't be a commodity to be bought and sold.

Or:
  • It's great that a portion of society has figured out how to make a living by bottling/branding something as basic as water.
  • Everyone should have the opportunity to own land.

Not surprised.

untitled.png