Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning a trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
Hi,

I'm contemplating whether or not I should attempt this in a 60kwh car with regular 19" wheels. Hopefully not in the peak of summer.
Bay Area to Scottsdale 760 mi
Scottsdale to Grand Canyon 217 mi
Grand Canyon to Bay Area 775 mi
Looking to work out the itinerary: what time to leave, when and where to charge for how long, what speed to travel at, whether I can turn on the AC, etc.

Google Maps

What apps/websites/tools would you use? How do you even figure out the optimum itinerary? Seems like an exercise in linear programming.
I can use some of daxz's plan from this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8125-Coast-to-Coast-EV-record/page3.
Also, I know that any Tesla SuperChargers that show up will significantly alter the plan, so I want to learn how to figure this stuff out myself.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's a big trip but possible. I've never taken a trip that long but just got back from my first mini-roadtrip. Longest stretch was 210 miles and I barely made it in the Roadster (similar range probably to the 60 kWh Model S). If this is a trip you do often, the 85 kWh pack would help but if it's not a common trip, no reason to change. You'll have much more options on the west coast but look for RV parks with 50A outlets if there is nothing else around. Give yourself plenty of backup range in case your destination charge station isn't working. Probably take 160 mile jumps to look for charge stations and travel at 55-60mph and you'll probably want the AC on since it'll be summer. Once that range estimator they have in the store goes online, that will help you.

Last edited:
Kiper - When I did my long trip from Arizona to Iowa and back, I picked KOA as the tool to plan the trip (koa.com). I don't know if KOA is the largest RV camp system, but they have pretty good Interstate coverage. That way I could plan a "one-by-one (linear)" location for charging. I chose 150 - 180 miles as the interval for the Roadster and plotted stops along the route that way. If a KOA didn't exist close to the 180 mile point, I checked Google maps to find other campsites in the area around whatever town was closest. In my limited experience, the KOAs seemed to be the fullest service sites, tho they were probably more expensive too, but most of them had cabins for over nights if I was at that point in the trip. Since KOAs are independent, you still have to contact each one individually for reservations. Then at each stop, I'd call ahead to the next stop to confirm. On the way back, I winged it and didn't make reservations and just showed up. I was always able to get a charge, but had some close calls. One Sunday afternoon in a small town in Oklahoma that looked and acted like the 50's Blue Laws were still in effect (maybe they were - everything was closed), I had to charge at the fire station on a dryer hookup because the RV camp had gone under. With the Model S you should have an easier and more comfortable time of it.

"thinking out loud" here for the first half ...

Day 1
  1. Start with full range mode charge and drive out to Harris Ranch (170 mi, 3 hours, probably no more than the 70mph speed limit on 5)
  2. Assuming SuperCharger is there, eat lunch for 1 hour and charge to full
  3. Drive to Castaic Lake RV park (160 mi, 2.7hr, 70mph speed limit, big hill climb with some downhill recovery for last 30 mi); read a book for 3 hours while charging on 14-50; eat dinner
  4. Drive to somewhere around San Bernardino or Redlands (100 mi, 2 hrs, speed of traffic); stay overnight somewhere (8-9pm arrival)

Day 2
  1. Drive to Blythe CO river KOA RV park (160 mi, 2.5 hrs, speed limit) read a book and eat lunch (maybe dinner) for 5 or 6 hours
  2. Drive to my friend's place in Scottsdale (170 mi, 3 hrs, speed limit) arrive 9pm

Some other thoughts:
  • 2nd onboard charger is unlikely to do much good - most charge locations are 14-50 outlets or 30kw J1772
  • Really need a SuperCharger either at Grapevine or Castaic/Valencia as well as in Blythe, CA
  • Even the 85kWh car may not make it between Palm Desert and Phoenix on one charge at regular speeds (might make it if drafting a semi the whole way)
  • I just know I'd go crazy if I tried to follow a big-rig truck for 760 miles so I plan to do the speed limit (which will be hard enough as it is)
  • I think for each planned stop I need 2 contingency charge locations, around 10-20 mi shorter/longer distance if my range estimates are off

Last edited:
Your plan sounds ambitious, and I must admire your vision and confidence that Tesla will fully deliver on their promises.

Would I / will I embark on such a trip? Nah, I'm too chicken. Well, maybe, If I upgrade to the 300 mile battery pack -and- after a few weeks or months getting comfortable with it.

Actually, it might be sooner than that. I am currently (yuk, yuk) exploring the world of the electric car with a BMW ActiveE. It is so darned fun, but there are several mind-sets that I need to abandon and others I need to embrace.

-- Ardie
Where do I get all that junky food now that I don't go to gas stations?