Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla delivery parties?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the newest version of the delivery startegy posted here:

Car delivery strategy change

I thought it might be interesting for those of us in Illinois/Wisconsin/Indiana/surrounding to start buliding a Tesla community in-person. The thought being that those earliest in-line could have those later in-line over for the delivery of their Model S (unless you want to enjoy the delivery in all your solo/family glory).

It might be an interesting way to meet other Tesla owners in-person and start creating a potential charging network of people for when we want to take our cars on slightly longer trips (i.e. Madison, Indianapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee) and need a place to charge.

I am P6398 and would be more than willing to potentially host people at my place for delivery. I thought there might be other people earlier in-line that might be interested as well. We could also invite Oakbrook store workers so they are familiar with the delivery process in case they dont have the opportunity to attend. Any additional thoughts or better ideas, feel free to improve on this idea!

I would be willing to have a party. I'm number P2359. But you would all have to come down to Missouri.

Hi Liz,

Welcome to the forum.

Say, aren't you planning a cross country trip in your Model S?
Seems like we wouldn't have to come down to Missouri to have a party. We could party across the the country. :wink:

Larry

Last edited:
I would be willing to have a party. I'm number P2359. But you would all have to come down to Missouri.

Hi Liz,
I would come to your party. I live pretty close by and work even closer. It would be a nice preview since my delivery will be while later.
What made you decide on getting the Model S? It seems that there are not that many reservations in Missouri.

@zdre

My husband and I have been following Tesla for years. We wanted a Roadster but couldn't quite swing it. I'd plannedon getting the S as soon as I heard about it. Will be so happy to be off oil.

Its nice to hear from someone around here. So what number are you?

We would be pleased to host a delivery party. We have plenty of space and would be glad to offer a solar fill-up. It would be nice if we could get TMC to facilitate member connections in each community. Good for their marketing and good for building a sense of community for us.

We would be pleased to host a delivery party. We have plenty of space and would be glad to offer a solar fill-up. It would be nice if we could get TMC to facilitate member connections in each community. Good for their marketing and good for building a sense of community for us.

Hi Mark,

The forum does support different local communities.

For example, you might want to post your invitation in the Mountain/Southwest sub-forum.

Larry

@zdre

My husband and I have been following Tesla for years. We wanted a Roadster but couldn't quite swing it. I'd planned on getting the S as soon as I heard about it. Will be so happy to be off oil.

Its nice to hear from someone around here. So what number are you?

I have P6415. I reserved late last year. We have yet to see the car in person, but hope to see it soon in Chicago or Phoenix. Seeing the car will be a big factor in the decision to actually purchase, especially for my wife, so I hope to see something more refined than the Betas...

I have been following Tesla for a while, but it seemed out of reach until recently, from both time and financial perspective. Last year I became obsessed with efficiency when I bought a diesel golf (I get around 50MPG highway), which made me want something even more efficient. I also really want to get off oil and reduce emissions as much as possible.
Unfortunately, the electrical grid is pretty dirty in Missouri, so overall emissions may not decrease that much when driving electric. We do purchase renewable energy credits (Pure Power) from Ameren, but I'm not convinced that actually has any effect...

Unfortunately, the electrical grid is pretty dirty in Missouri, so overall emissions may not decrease that much when driving electric. We do purchase renewable energy credits (Pure Power) from Ameren, but I'm not convinced that actually has any effect...

I bet you would be interested in this study which looks at EVs total cost and emissions based on the differences in the US power grid based on region. Even in the midwest, which has the highest level of dirty power production, EVs still beat the best gas and hybrid cars for emission and cost of energy when considering all factors.

Global Warming Emissions and Fuel-Cost Savings of Electric Cars (2012) | Union of Concerned Scientists

I bet you would be interested in this study which looks at EVs total cost and emissions based on the differences in the US power grid based on region. Even in the midwest, which has the highest level of dirty power production, EVs still beat the best gas and hybrid cars for emission and cost of energy when considering all factors.

Global Warming Emissions and Fuel-Cost Savings of Electric Cars (2012) | Union of Concerned Scientists

I read this report when it came out and actually based my statement on its findings. Page 12 of the Executive summary shows that EVs (assuming 0.34 kWh/mile) in St. Louis region would produce about the same emissions as 36MPG ice car. Since the grid probably improved somewhat since 2007, I am assuming it would be a wash with the 50mpg car I am driving now.

Although the UoCS report is supposedly using well-to-wheel calculations, I don't quite understand the numbers. I know that it takes around 6kWh of electricity to refine a gallon of gas, and producing that electricity also has emissions... an EV could go around 20 miles on that electricity, but without burning the gas. I am missing something? Shouldn't driving an EV be much better than a 36mpg ice car even with the dirtiest grid?

Last edited:
@zdre

My husband and I are actually taking advantage of the current Ameren programs and federal credits to get Solar Panels installed on our roof. Looking at getting a 9 kwh system for about $2000. Course we have to come up with $35000 upfront, but most of that will be coming back to us.

@zdre

My husband and I are actually taking advantage of the current Ameren programs and federal credits to get Solar Panels installed on our roof. Looking at getting a 9 kwh system for about $2000. Course we have to come up with $35000 upfront, but most of that will be coming back to us.

Only $2,000? That sounds like a great deal! I thought it would be more like $20,000. I will have to look into this.

With all this talk of when the 300 mile battery packs will be delivered in comparison to the smaller packs, I might end up having mine delivered in the winter, not much of a party opportunity in 2-10 inches of snow. I guess if delivery is going to fall in the winter I could always defer until March/April timeframe, when it will be warmer out.

I know the deferral is 6 months, but does anyone know if the deferral is up to 6 months or a mandatory 6 months?