Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the roof cover is going to be built into the cross-bar that separates the front glass piece that opens and the rear glass piece. So there will be two covers. One that pulls forward from the cross-bar and one that pulls back from the cross-bar.

We still don't know what the mechanism will be for keeping the cover attached to the roof when it's pulled out. Will there be a track of some kind? will it be stiff enough that it won't need a track? Unknown.

It looks like the roof cover is going to be built into the cross-bar that separates the front glass piece that opens and the rear glass piece. So there will be two covers. One that pulls forward from the cross-bar and one that pulls back from the cross-bar.

We still don't know what the mechanism will be for keeping the cover attached to the roof when it's pulled out. Will there be a track of some kind? will it be stiff enough that it won't need a track? Unknown.

Seems a bit odd, and a little complicated. In the Q5 there's one shade that comes from the back (above and behind the rear passenger's head) to the front. Works fine, and you don't get a big ole bar (assuming it will be one) obstructing your view...

Automated shades are cool but add to the bottom line whereas manual shades are practical and inexpensive. Food for thought.

Auto shades are also slow and prone to breaking. One of my favorite auto/manual anecdotes is my dad's TT.

He had his hydraulic pump break and his top was stuck down. He took it to an Audi dealer, and asked that they just disconnect the linkage to the hydraulic cylinder(s?) so he could operate it manually. They told him it was too heavy, and HAD to have the hydraulic system hooked up. So he got them to put it up for him and he just kept the top up for a few months. He finally took his car to a local shop and asked him about repairing the hydraulic pump (which doesn't really come out of the car easily). The repair man offered to just disconnect it from the hydraulic cylinder(s?) until my dad finally decided to fix the pump. Well low and behold you can raise and lower the top while seated and buckled in the drivers seat, once you get the motion down. My dad can now lower his top in about 2 seconds (vs 15-20 seconds for auto) and he can pull it up in about 10 seconds (vs the same 15-20 for the auto).

Auto shades are also slow and prone to breaking. One of my favorite auto/manual anecdotes is my dad's TT.

He had his hydraulic pump break and his top was stuck down. He took it to an Audi dealer, and asked that they just disconnect the linkage to the hydraulic cylinder(s?) so he could operate it manually. They told him it was too heavy, and HAD to have the hydraulic system hooked up. So he got them to put it up for him and he just kept the top up for a few months. He finally took his car to a local shop and asked him about repairing the hydraulic pump (which doesn't really come out of the car easily). The repair man offered to just disconnect it from the hydraulic cylinder(s?) until my dad finally decided to fix the pump. Well low and behold you can raise and lower the top while seated and buckled in the drivers seat, once you get the motion down. My dad can now lower his top in about 2 seconds (vs 15-20 seconds for auto) and he can pull it up in about 10 seconds (vs the same 15-20 for the auto).

big difference between a convertible top and a sunshade

found this

Yup, just like the Q5. Fast enough for my tastes.

Last edited by a moderator: